Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rough Country 4 inch lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tch777, Oct 8, 2004.

1. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

Okay who is running one of these lifts?
    How does it compare to stock ride?
    I want to go 4 inch and would like a firm but not teeth rattling ride. Their price is really good but is it too good?
    Besides price what would I notice in going from a 4 inch block to 4 inch springs in the rear?

Thanks

Tim

2. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

Rough Country is a well priced kit. But it is not the best, you will have a little rougher ride then with the stock set up and as far as the blocks you should let your $$ decide if you can go for the rear springs or not. I have never been a big fan of blocks. The 4"kit is not made to go out and flex all over everything in site but it will work pretty well in the mud. You can also help the ride a little with a higher quality shock but it will only help some because the springs are going to be on the stiff side.

Good luck with your purchase,

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It's going to be very firm. I'd suggest something besides Rough Country, Pro Comp, or Genuine unless you're going to have a big block and a heavy bumper.

4. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

I just noticed that you also have a f350. I am asumming the lift is for the sub. It should ride very similar to the f350 if you decide to go with the rough country lift.

5. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

Yes lift would be for the Sub.

Thanks for the replies.

Tim

6. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

If you talk to most people that have actually owned RC springs, they will say they ride better than stock, but maybe not as good as higher dollar springs. I was very impressed with mine for the money, impressed enough that they are on my new trail rig now.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes lift would be for the Sub.

[/ QUOTE ]

My buddy has it on his Sub . Better than stock ride . It is of course not as soft as people here prefer , but I ride in it occasionally , and I like it , it is a truck after all . Helps the front sway too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. woods

woods Registered Member

I have 4 inch rough country kit with the shocks too, it's rides a hell of alot better then stock did, my friends who are used to new cars/trucks/ complain about how it bounces alittle on big bumps, but I'm very please with the lift considering my old springs were starting to sag on the driver side,

and whats great about the new lift if you know your going to be hitting a decent size bump around a corner you can throw people out of the pass seat, I got a 210 lbs guy 6 inchs into the air and he landed on the middle console, I about pissed myself laughing when that happened.

9. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

i have the rough country lift , and i am happy. it rides better than stock. some say its bouncier, and it is , but i like it. if i wanted a cadillac ride , i would have bought a cadillac.
    i bought the blocks at first , becouse i was going to get the echobit flip. well we all know how that idea went belly up , so i ended up buying the rear springs a month ago cause the old ones were sagging. if you have any sag , i would do the same . plus i feel it rides better now with the lift springs in the rear.

10. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I had one, it's firm, but it WILL flex pretty well

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The first question everybody should have asked is.... What kind of wheeling do you plan on doing ?? If you're into rocks and a quality ride, I highly recomend BDS and Tuff Country springs. If your rear springs and in good condition, think ORD 4" Shackle Flip. I guess Rough Country would be okay for the mud pits, but it rides alittle rough for my back.

12. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have the 4" springs. I removed the bottem leaf and they are softer now. They were taller but are still about 4". my rear springs were pretty sagged so with an echobit flip and a zero rate they are level to my 1 leaf removed front spring.

13. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I had one, it's firm, but it WILL flex pretty well

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a 6" kit and as RJ said it will flex pretty well. Mine flexes well enough to smash the spring against the frame with minimal effort, I need longer front shackles. At first I had 6" springs in the front and an add-a-leaf and 4" block in the rear. I recently swapped the factory rear springs for 5.5" SkyJacker springs and a 1" zero rate. I think it rides fairly nice and flexes good.

14. MountainMan

MountainMan Registered Member

Good thread, good info, so I am also considering the 4" options out there, I have been partial to Skyjacker how does it compare to TC and also ProComp which i havent heard much about?

15. MountainMan

no good comparisons on the three lifts???

16. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

out of all of the lift kits out there I would choose TC or BDS. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. MountainMan

BDS eh? that new to me, why that one?

18. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

its costs just a little bit more and the ride is about the same but the springs have a LIFETIME warrenty so if anything happens to then they will replace them for FREE. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

bds warrenty is "if it has our name on it and it break, we replace it."

bds doesn't cost much more if any at all more than like TC.

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    its costs just a little bit more and the ride is about the same but the springs have a LIFETIME warrenty so if anything happens to then they will replace them for FREE. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Every spring/suspension manufacturer offers a lifetime warranty. Read the fine print.