Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rough country 4" lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GONZO2, Aug 2, 2001.

1. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

rough country 4\" lift

well i got my 4" lift from rough country and i'm in the process of installing the front springs. the new springs are about an 1" shorter than the stock springs. is this right? the rear springs appear to be a little shorter also.
    also i'm not a mechanic or anything. i learn most by trial and error. how does the steering arm come off? i have the 3 nuts removed and the other end is removed from the tie rod. is there a form fitting washer pressed in there. the new one looks like the bolt holes are tapered. help before i get out the really big hammer and break something?

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Re: rough country 4\" lift

The springs are shorter because they have arch! Your stock ones have lost some of their arch over time, flattening them.

Yes there are tapered washers in each of the holes. I used lots of WD-40 in the holes and a 3 lb sledge to get mine off. It just takes a lot of banging. I removed the tie rod between the tires when I did mine to give me extra room to swing the hammer. I didn't want to accidentally smash the tie rod!

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>

3. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

thanks for the reply.
    i was thinking it was due to the extra arch(the stock ones i pulled were flat), but wasn't sure.
    also the axle does not want to move forward (to seat spring mount) only thing not loosened is break lines and front drive shaft(was tring to do this with removeing as little as possible) i guess i need to remove the front drive shaft?

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I guess you might have to. I did not remove either driveshaft. I was able to lower my axle out of the way, install the new springs, and lift the axle back into place. The only place I had to be real careful was with the rear driveshaft. You have to be careful when dropping that shaft so as to not pull it out of the back of the t-case.

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>

5. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Re: rough country 4

Yes, you need to remove your front shaft.

Unscrew the little ring on the yoke .
    Then you need to open your bench vise enough so that the slip yoke will fit in there, but the ears will catch on the jaws of the vise. Then grip the tube, and slam the shaft down on the vise. Do this until the two halves separate. Then clean and lubricate.

Hope you don't find that your Rough Country lift lives up to its name, though it probably will.

Lift It, Lock It, LIVE IT!!!

6. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

Re: rough country 4

what type of lube would the drive shaft take?

7. Chaz316

Chaz316 1/2 ton status

This is gonna sound silly but once you WD-40 the cone shaped washers(or liquid Wrench) hit each end of the steering arm with a hammer(at the same time). I heard of this and thought it was a joke but they came out easier and one actually popped out. I have installed 4 and 6 inch lifts on these vehicles about 6 times I picked up my Rough Country lift from the Fed Ex office on tuesday. Im going to by my tires before I install the lift but I cant wait to tear into it.

73 K5, 350, auto w/factory air....How sweet it is.

8. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

well i finally got the front springs done. a big hammer and half a can of penetrating spray later the steering arm went in also. the only thing i could not get finished up was the front drive shaft.
    i disconnected it from the front axle to move the axle and when i did the u joint fell apart. also the front drive shaft (i'm assuming) should have some slide along that shaft, mine seems to be frozen in place. so i guess up next is removing the drive shaft completely and lubing (like someone else suggested). then i can start on the rear.
    too bad i have to go to work now for the next 4 days, i'm kinda getting anxius to see the finished product.
    looks kinda weird sitting in front of t he house with front facing the sky. after some measuring looks like i ended up with close to 6" over my stock height. that's a little more than i was expecting!