Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rough Country 6" lift.........any good?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88jimmy4x4, Oct 19, 2003.

1. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

Rough Country 6\" lift.........any good?

I just bought a 88 Jimmy 4x4 and I am looking for a decent priced 6" lift to mount my 36x14.50's. I live in south Texas and do alot of fishing so It will mainly see light offroading (no rocks around here).
    They sell a rough country 6" all spring lift with shocks and steering arm for $650, I realize I might need to get my d-shafts lengthened and dual stabilizer, so an affordable lift is a necessity for me.
    What else will I need for this? adjustable drag link? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I could really use some advice on this lift. Im new to SFA so any help will be greatly appreciated.

BTW....I love this site and was recommended here by Fry /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: Rough Country 6\" lift.........any good?

steering arm and 6" should be fine. Crossover would be the best way but short of going that way the 4" steering arm is the way.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Rough Country is ROUGH. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If you're ok with that, you'll be fine.

4. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Rough Country is ROUGH. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If you're ok with that, you'll be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
    a simple,but effective description.my opinion is rough country is to be avoided like the plague.

5. 88jimmy4x4

LOL, I was afraid yall were gonna say that. I guess they named it properly huh /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Well what lift would you suggest that is still in that price range with a good ride?

I looked at Skyjacker but man their proud of those springs.

Im open to suggestions, I would rather do this right the first time than waste the money being cheap.

I considered an add-a-leaf block combo for the back, but Im afraid that after 135,000 miles the springs are sagging.

Keep up the replies guys

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

BDS has a lift time warrentee. Tuff Country is also good. For the rear you have the option of Shackle flips, ...ect. Lots to consitter.

7. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

How many of you who say Rough Country is so bad actually have a Rough Country lift? I do and I love mine! Really can't beat the price and the ride is fine. On and off road (and I do my share of both!). Flexes well, too. If anything, my Blazer is a little bouncy. But certainly not bone-jarring or anything. I've been running this for over a year and wouldn't trade it.

8. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Ive got a 4" RC lift, and I like it. Cant beat the price and the ride isnt bad. If you want a smooth ride buy a car.

9. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Agreed. I have a 6" RC lift on my crew cab and it is stiff but it certainly could be worse. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I'd be willing to bet that the ride quality difference between an RC lift and a Skyjacker Softride kit isn't night and day. I'm not saying there's no difference, just that it's not as bad as a lot of people imply.

I have had some add-a-leaf issues with my kit but RC warrantied them quickly and without question (read: EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE). I'm very happy with my RC kit.

10. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I have the RC 4" lift on my heavy Burb and it stiffer than I would like. It isn't terrible, but on occasion, it has bounced me off the seat. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

One of these days, when I have other mods taken care of, I will probably swap out the RC springs for some Tough Countrys or similiar. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

Sorry I couldn't get back to you, had to go pick up my 14bolt yesterday that took all day trying to fit it in my little sonoma with a topper since the guy left on the leaf springs. Now we have an audit at work, and I've got to go pick up a front diff and some rims this week, and still manage to get ready for this audit and install the diffs this week before the snow flies (coming soon /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif ) /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    Anyway glad you made it over here, these guys should be able to help you with any questions lots of experience on this board /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. 88jimmy4x4

Thanks guys for the input. I am curious as to why its so much rougher...spring rate that high versus others? RC shocks maybe?
    Im not looking for a cadillac ride, however I dont want bone jarring either as this is gonna be my daily driver (50 miles to work oneway) as well as my weekend offroader. I expect a stiff ride but I would like it comfortable as well for long trips. Is it the rear springs that make it stiff or the front or both?

Thanks Fry, glad you informed me about this site /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif good luck with the 14 bolt, thats way up high on my list of future mods...congrats

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yes the spring rate is higher than others.

I'm considering using the 6" RCs anyway instead of BDS becuase of the heavy bumper/winch I'll be using. 250 lbs is a lot of extra weight, and that far out in front, it'll certainly affect the springs.

14. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Yep, it's the higher spring rates that make them stiffer. The reason I went with RC was becuse my kit was for my crew cab so I wanted really strong springs.

15. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I mioght be able to sell you some nice riding 6" tuffcountries and a echobit flip for a really reasonable price around X-mas time if you're willing to drive to corpus to meet me.

16. 88jimmy4x4

[ QUOTE ]
    I mioght be able to sell you some nice riding 6" tuffcountries and a echobit flip for a really reasonable price around X-mas time if you're willing to drive to corpus to meet me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish you could sell them now /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I live in Sealy Texas so a trip to corpus wouldnt be bad at all.

17. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

i have the rough country 6" lift on my K-5. I couldn't tell it was stiff until I put my Rag top on. when I put my front winch bumper and rear bumper with tire carrier on it was really that stiff. Actually rode softer. I like the ride. Plus rough country was only 2 1/2 hours from me. Saved mucho denerro on shipping.

18. Curtis2kul

Curtis2kul Registered Member

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

well i got a 4inch rough country suspension with springs in the back, i went with them becuase of no money, being 17, going to school, and from someone stealing my first truck. Money was very limited and for 500 bucks including shipping you cant beat that, it is a GOOD lift for the money other than it is stiff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

19. 88jimmy4x4

[ QUOTE ]
    well i got a 4inch rough country suspension with springs in the back, i went with them becuase of no money, being 17, going to school, and from someone stealing my first truck. Money was very limited and for 500 bucks including shipping you cant beat that, it is a GOOD lift for the money other than it is stiff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya man, its hell to be poor. Its such an attractive price its hard to pass up /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Does anyone know if the steering arm from a 1/2t chevy is the same as my GMC Jimmy?

GM Chevy skyjacker steering arm for 73-87

I found one for sale, never used for a 6" kit and want to buy it if yall say yes /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Looks like I might just piece me a lift together.

20. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Yes the steering arm is the same....

Shocks and tires/air pressure have ALOT to do with ride quality....Big difference in the ride when the Goodyears went on the 'Burb, that is with TC EZ rides too....