Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rough Country Lift Kits

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigBadJap, Jun 5, 2003.

1. BigBadJap

BigBadJap Registered Member

Hi, I'm looking at the Rough Country 4" lift kit w/rear springs.
    Anybody have/heard about this kit? Good/Bad/Ugly?
    It's for my daily driver which won't be be seeing alot of offroad.

Also, can somebody kindly explain how a 52" rear spring would differ in ride from a 56" spring? (Does longer = softer ride?)

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i have this kit on my mainly offroad K5 and when i drove it after driving my other truck it scared me cuz they were so much softer than my other one. but then again my other one has 10 lift. i personally love it. it flexes great and gives a nice ride. but if u are looking for rid quality u might wanna look at BDS or something like that

NITRO

3. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I have that one with rear springs (no blocks). Mine is a daily driver/family vehicle but also goes off road often. It seems a little higher than 4" to me. I did need the extended rear brake line and the front driveshaft spacer. Performance wise it is just fine. Not so rough as other people say, in my opinion. I don't have experience with anything else, though. My truck rides like a truck. Go with 52" springs, because that is what you have. 56" springs if I'm not mistaken were in some 3/4 ton and 1 ton pickups. Follow the "My K5" link below to see my truck doing a little flexing when we were out wheeling about a month ago. That is with the swaybar still on. I'd say go for it!

4. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I second that motion. I have the exact kit and love it. It rides awesome on and offroad and flexes nicely. Hit it up! /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. Catman

Catman Registered Member

I put the exact same kit on my 90 K5 and have no regrets. It is more like 5" but that's cool. As for the rough ride.....I've spent 37 years riding Harleys. Suspension is just a state of mind! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yeap, its a damn nice kit, dosnt include hardware, so you will have to get some new leaf eye bolts, but the kit is very complete other wise, and is worth the money. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. BigBadJap

BigBadJap Registered Member

Any gripes with this kit? Like missing parts, bad machining, poor instructions?

Will I "NEED" a front driveshaft spacer and extended brake lines?

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Like (borregoK5) told me once on here; "You can run a 4" lift without any major mods, but if you want to run it well, you will need to make the same modifications as a 6" mod." Which basically means you could probably get away with a 4" lift with pretty much stock everything, except shocks. You might have a vibe or two, and break some u-joints. But if you dont want to have to worry about that stuff, you need to do everything you would to a 6" lift like longer driveshaft, shimms or cv shaft, extended brake lines, etc, etc...
    -Harrison

9. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

I had to get my rear driveshaft lengthened. The PO had put the lift on and not lengthened it. Within about 100 miles, it backed off the case yoke nut and it dropped the whole shaft with yoke off the case. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

As with any springs, re-tighten the u-bolts nuts a few times after you're done. Mine had loosened to almost finger tight.

I think you're going to have to lengthen brake lines too. Luckily that was something the PO had done. My parking brake cable also needs to be lengthened (haven't done that yet).

Do a search. Rough country springs were just covered in a thread not long ago.

10. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

If you're gonna do it, do it right. Suspension is like brakes, you don't want to go cheap on it.
    You'll need a raised steering arm, which the RC 4" kit does not include.
    Another thin you might like are some braided stainless-steel brake lines. They don't swell as much as stock ones under hard braking and give plenty of room for flexing.
    Your front driveshaft will be too short, so you will need the Superlift front driveshaft spacer.
    I did all this to my truck for the 4" Skyjacker, Grand cost was $553...I couldn't be happier, except for if I had just gone for the 6" in the first place, but a body lift made up for it.

11. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif wanna try again? The rough country kit i got for 459, even the one they sell for 295 comes with a rasised steering arm and a new cotter pin, and 3 new torq nuts, goto www.roughcountry.com and check the products out, call them for them to answer your questions. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

12. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Was looking at their ad in Peterson's...it doesn't say it includes the arm... oh well, great then, that's one less thing you have to buy

13. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I just bought a RC 4" lift w/ blocks. I haven't installed it yet, but it came with everything to put it on. Brake line extensions (not gonna use them), the steering arm, nuts, bolts, shocks, shock boots... Seemed complete to me for $295 I'm happy with it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif