Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rough Country Lift System - Opinions?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieBlazer, Jul 20, 2002.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Really wanted a skyjaker or tuff country lift. Looking too expensive for my budget on a all springs lift... anyone running this setup. My uses will be towing, mudding, other medium offroading. This is a 4" lift.

The Rough Country leaf springs have been redesigned to incorporate new "luxury ride" technology. Each double tapered leaf with Teflon pads was specifically engineered for each individual vehicle to provide the best ride possible. These packages include Heckethorn shocks and steering arm where needed. Kits use rear blocks and/or add-a-leafs and Systems use rear leaf springs.

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Im running the front 4" ers and I knwo Shewheeler is running the all spring 4" lift. I like them just fine, they ride well, not amazing, but well. The flex is average, they aren't going articulate as good as the best leafs out there, but they are better than riding on soime of th basic brick springs out there. Overall I like them a lot they are economical, ride good enough for me, and flex quite well enough.

3. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    I run the 4" fronts on both my K/5's.My '78 I reoved one of the leafs to soften up the ride.They give about 5" of lift.I went with rear blocks and ditched them in favor of shackle flips,but I see you are planning on towing.I can't complain about the springs,they are a little stiff until you flex 'em out a little.Good price.I would get the 6" lift shocks though,the 4" only give about 3" of down travel.I'll buy from them again.Mike

4. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

i dun understand, if you get the 6 in springs and get 5 in of lift, won't the front be a little higher, and what in the world is a shackle flip, does it cost extra? work good?
    any other info on these topics is welcomed

5. XHitman396

wait Blue, i kinda read that wrong, do you get 4 in of lift with 6 in springs (6 in springs on front or on back) or becaused you worked them for that? sorry.

6. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

I should of been more clear(this crazy Arizona heat has fried my brain!).I got the 4" lift springs,but they give about 5" of lift.I had good non-sagging front stock springs that held 33" tires.I removed one of the Rough Country leafs in the spring pack to A) give a softer,flexier ride and B) to lower the truck a little.I ordered the shocks designed for the 6" lift kit also upgraded to the 9000 series.The "shackle idea" is well known around these parts.Do a search, it's more than I can possibly explain here.But I've done it and am very happy with the flex and ride.....and the cost!There is another alterative to the shackle flip.....search for "Marv Springer suspensions".His system is great for alot of wheel travel(i.e. Rock Crawling).Get the 4" lift....it's easier and cheaper than the 6" kit.With the 6" kit you will likely need to get longer driveshafts,lower the T-case mount, and still go thru u-joints often.I have'nt tried the Rough Country rear springs,but I know the front are ones are pretty stiff.It all depends what you are building to the truck to do and what size tires you are running.Just my opionion.BLUESMAN

7. XHitman396

Thanks for your help, but one last question, why order the shocks for the 6 in lift, and how much better are the 9000's, thanks

8. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

The 4" lift shocks are too short..they only give about 3" of down travel.Whereas the 6" lift shocks give about 5-6".The difference in the 8000 and 9000 shocks are that the 8000 are the standard gas shocks and the 9000 are high presure nitogen shock.The 9000's cost $16 more for all four.

9. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I have a Rough Country 4" lift system(4 springs) on my 71 Suburban. I like the ride although they can be a little stiff. I haven't had any problems with axle droop using the 4" lift shocks but I probably don't flex as well as some of you guys. I would recommend them.

10. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I run the 4" RC all-spring lift and can't complain at all. It isn't as flexy or as soft of a ride as some, but it is a much less bouncy ride than my K20 with Skyjacker front 4" springs and rear blocks. It also flexes plenty for me. With 35" BFGs on 15x10 wheels, the 4" lift and 1" body lift, I was STILL rubbing my tires on my inner fender. I installed a new 3" body lift (7" total lift now) to try and avoid the fender impact. Haven't had a chance to test it, though, since my engine decided to let go.

I highly recommend the RC system, especially for first-timers. It comes with everything you need. The only change I would recommend is to get longer brake lines instead of using their brake line relocation bracklets.

11. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

sounds good!