Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rough Country lifts?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gunner_vincent, Nov 6, 2004.

1. gunner_vincent

gunner_vincent Registered Member

Hey whats your guys inputs on Rough country lifts? I am looking at a 4" lift w/blocks ( i know, go springs but i am military, and I have to build slowly, cause I am poor hahaha)What do you guys think? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

It's a good lift for the money but it's going to ride hard. Most lift for the buck though IMO since the spring rate is high it won't tend to sag as much.

3. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I'm looking at the same kit for my 90' K-5. I think I'm going to go with the rear springs though. I can get it all for $459 and can even get the two extra shocks I need for the front for $505. My truck sags in the rear and if I go w/ the blocks it will still sag but will be sagging 4" higher. If my truck didn't sag I'd go w/ blocks too. I'm probably going to go with the Rough Country though. Looks like a good deal to me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I had a 4" I've been trying to get rid of

It was a great lift, but did ride hard

Here's the thing though, it WILL flex pretty damn well, I had my fronts almost inverted

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey whats your guys inputs on Rough country lifts? I am looking at a 4" lift w/blocks ( i know, go springs but i am military, and I have to build slowly, cause I am poor hahaha)What do you guys think? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My truck had a Rough Country lift on it when I bought it.....it has stiff as hell and rode like crap.

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I have 6" Rough Country EZ Ride springs and it rides fairly good. It flexes like crazy too, I can invert the spring slightly.

7. rescuekrawler

rescuekrawler Registered Member

hey if you have the money aclan's custom makes'em 810 all the way around I have blockes in the rear and racho front and they ride like **IT

8. nstarry

nstarry 1/2 ton status

I have 4" in and its name is misleading the company should be called rough ride this thing rides worse than my dads 72 international dump truck, but it makes the room for the 35s

9. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I highly suggest not going with rough country springs. My friends blazer has a 4" rough country lift, and it rides like crap. We flexed it out and it did pretty poorly there too. My brothers k5 on really really really stiff rancho hd's out flexed it. I dont know how much more expensive they are, but I would recommend either BDS or Tuff Country ez rides. I have BDS springs on my truck and cant say enough good about them. They ride pretty sweet for lift springs. They were a tall 4". Did I say tall? I mean they, measured out more like 5.5. They flex really really well. And the best part is that they have a no questions asked, no fine print, lifetime warranty. If you are the original owner of BDS springs, and they break or mess up in any way, bds will send you new springs. Period. A friend of mine broke a leaf on a set of rear bds springs. He called them up and they sent two brand new springs packs for the rear, so one side wouldnt be higher or lower than the other. Tuff country makes some high quality springs as well. I have not been in a vehicle with them but a lot of people on here run them and like them. I believe that is what Mr Steve Fox is running on his k5. Anyways as for pricing, my bds were $98 per spring pack. I run a shackle flip in the rear so that was cheaper than springs. Hell, you could run a homemade shackle flip in the rear and it wont cost you a thing. It should flex a lot better than blocks too. Lets see. $196 for front bds springs. A free homemade shackle flip in the rear. $150-160 for some autozone gabriel long travel shocks. $90 for some extended brake lines. Ditch the swaybar. And you have a pretty flexy and good riding lift for around $450. Of course, youll install the lift and say your done, but youll eventually want more stuff. Like in my case. I got the lift done. Then got zero rates, cv shafts, swaybar disconnects (so you can hook the swaybar up when you want to be and indy car k5 truck driver and lose bmw's around offramps, or at least try to /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif), i just ordered a swwet rear shock setup from missouri offroad, a few hundred dollars at cfm-techs website for some more power out of my tbi, and the list goes on and on and on.... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    -Harrison

10. rescue58

rescue58 Registered Member

Well, it did seem like a good deal. I just put a RC 4" on my '91. They fit fine, and all that, but it does ride like a garbage truck. If I werent in a position of being so poor right now, I would have gone with something better. My biggest bitch about them so far is with the POS taper blocks that came on the rear springs. They look like they are cast out of recycled pig iron, and arent even close to being flat. Stupid me left them on though; they will be coming off this weekend. Bolted up, with the ubolts tightened up, i have about 1/8" of air under each end of the taper shim, it only makes contact in the center, because they are curved so bad. So of course, the rearend flops around like a fish out of water. Oh well, good excuse next time to go with a 5 link and coilovers... But at least the "35's fit now...

11. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

maybe i have an iron butt from riding motorcycles, but i have an all spring rough country lift and it rides fine. my truck sees lots of road and mild trail use for hunting and fishing so it was a perfect choice for me. clears 35's with lots of room to spare. i also installed new super duty ford bucket seats in my truck as well, so they soak up some of the ride too. the rc springs are stiff so you shouldnt use them if your rock crawling. rock crawling is the main emphasis on this board so opinions are geared that way. i drove my friends jimmy with tough country springs and his seemed to sway more while on the highway so whats great for one person isnt always best for another.

12. sublmnl1990

sublmnl1990 1/2 ton status

Order the rear lift 2" higher than what you raise the front and you will sit level.;)

13. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have a RC 6" kit on my crew cab and I like it. It does ride a little stiff but it's still rides better than it did bone stock.

My only complaint with their product was the rear add-a-leafs, both broke. I figure they broke because they were made for 1/2 ton springs and not the bigger 9 leaf packs I have. Regardless, when I called them they sent me a new set right away with no questions asked. GREAT customer service.

14. sublmnl1990

sublmnl1990 1/2 ton status

when I did the RC lift on one of my trucks a few years ago it rode rough as well, I got the RC shocks with it, then after about a year I switched to R5000's and it was a noticable improvement. But I would still not go back to RC unless I was fixin something up to sell and not planning on keeping it. I am SKYJACKER all the way and no you cant change my mind, like the ride the height and their longjevity

15. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

I have a 6" rough country kit and it rode like crap, so I removed the bottom leaf on the front and a leaf from the rear. It lower it down about a 1 1/2" but it rides alot better. If I had to do it again I wouldn't use rough crap!

16. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I had a 4" Spring/rear block Rough Country lift on my truck and it rode like crap. Then I bought the 6" all spring and put on it and to me it rode like a CAdillac. I know a few members here who have ridden in it liked the way it rode as well with the new all spring lift.