Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rough Country spring flex when steering?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Sep 24, 2001.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

For those of you with Rough Country lifts, I have a question...

I have the 4" lift with the new steering arm. Had it on for several months now. When I am at low speed (barely moving) or stopped and I turn the wheel (like backing out of driveway or stuff like that), I am getting a creaking sound coming from the steering area. I had my gf turn the wheel back and forth with it on the ground while I was looking at the components. It appears as though the spring is flexing some side-to-side as the steering arm is moving the wheel/tie rod. The creaking sound I am hearing is the spring itself.

Does anyone else have this problem? Should I just get out the cheater bar and crank down on thos u-bolts a little more? My steering box also leaks and has sprayed a nice little coating of PS fluid on the spring. Could this be aggravating the problem by basically "lubing" the leafs?

Thoughts anyone?

Brian
    A new day.... May God be with us all.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Tribute</a>

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

the actual spring is flexing or is the whole spring moving on the perch?

If you see my truck on a trailer, call 911 cause it's <font color=red>STOLEN!!!</font color=red>
    Website link is in my profile [​IMG]

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Its actually flexing the spring side to side. It isn't moving fron to back on the perch. That was the first thing I checked as I have had that kind of movement before. Could this maybe just be the leaf packs breaking in some more?

Brian

4. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

My suggestion is to torck them to spec. I know for a fact that the rear are 150ft pounds. But can't recall what the front is.

Good luck
    KEN

DANGIT it's not a bronco!

5. muddin4fun

Weird.
    I'll have to watch mine. I've got the same lift so I'll see if mine does this. I haven't noticed any creaking up there.
    I know when I turn the wheels, the corners of the truck will go up or down depending on which way I turn them. Maybe that's the flex you're seeing? I dunno!
    I'd be good just to go over those bolts anyway. I do with every oil change just as maintence.
    Do you have the sway bar on or the correction kit for it?

If you see my truck on a trailer, call 911 cause it's <font color=red>STOLEN!!!</font color=red>

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Yeah mine lifts and lowers some based on which way I am turning. I do have the swaybar correction/disconnect kit. I am going to re-torq the suckers tonight and see what that does. I believe the torq spec is 120.

Brian

7. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Im running a superlift6" spring up front and mine does the same thing.Alot of guys here have had that problem and it is even worse if your trying to scale rocks so they all have installed panhard bars from the frame to the axle from the drivers side to the pass side.This all but eliminates the side ways flex and increases youe effective steering radius by transfering the flex into side to side movement of the tie rod.I have got my tubing and rod ends to make mine but ive been to lazy to fabricate the brackets yet.Hope this helps.

8. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

I have that same lift, and have noticed no problems, but do not have the sway bar corectional kit yet. I am planning it for the furture.
    Ike

Spreading The K5 Gospel!

9. muddin4fun

I checked mine out this morning and I'm not seeing what you're describing. Can you make a digital movie of it?

10. lgk5

lgk5 1/2 ton status

mine's doing this what did you end up doing?

11. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I haven't done anything yet. This weekend, I will have an extra set of hands and eyes. I plan to get in closer to see exactly whats going on. I will let you know.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!