Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rough Country spring shims....lift experts, feel free to assist!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Jan 22, 2003.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

ok, got the 6 inch rough country lift today. I searched and read everything regarding lifts but did not confirm which way the springs go. As you may know, the rough country kit is instructionless! So I know the following(i think)
    1) Front springs-- large eye goes to front of truck, small eye of spring to back.
    2) Rear spring eyes are the same size, but shim obviously dictates positioning.....question is, does thick part of shim go towards back of truck or front.

Let me know. I want to get it right since I am installing by myself in the freezing weather this weekend and nothing is allowed to go wrong(or i'll keep telling myself that)

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thick part of shim goes toward rear of truck. (In the effort to make the pinion point more skyward) And, make sure that when you install the springs, the stamping on the top leaf in yellow saying "FRT" goes towards the front of the vehicle. If that's towards the front, yet the shim is pointing the wrong way...just spin the overload leaf on the bottom around. I had to do that...must have gotten screwed up during shipping. Hope that helps you.

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

heavy4x4, which way do the shims go in the front? is the thick part of the shim also going to rear? I am looking at the springs as I type this and see not "FRT" on spring....the large spring eye goes to front right?
    thanks

4. 96chevysfa

96chevysfa 1/2 ton status

for the front, thick part of shims go towards the front.

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    which way do the shims go in the front? is the thick part of the shim also going to rear?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, my 4" Rough Country front springs didn't come with shims...but I guess they would with a 6". The thick part of the shim will be towards the FRONT of the vehicle this time. Again, in effort to point the pinion/yoke towards the transfer case.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I am looking at the springs as I type this and see not "FRT" on spring....the large spring eye goes to front right?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well, the "FRT" was printed on the REAR springs for me. On the FRONT springs, yes, you're right...the big eye is for the shackle closest to the bumper.

6. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

ok, now a bit confused. heavy4x4 said he received his with shims reversed, so he rotated bottom leaf to correct front shim setting. If the large eye is supposed to go to front, then both of the front shims are backwards. I find it hard to believe that both shims got rotated in shipping...I guess if someone can confirm that large eye goes to front on front springs, then I will rotate and correct shims.
    Again, nice instructions with kit(yeah right)

7. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

thanks for the quick help!

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Alright, sorry if I confused you...here's how everything goes:
    Front springs....larger eye is closest to bumper.
    Front springs....(if there are shims on them /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif) the thick part of the shim will be towards the front of the vehicle.

Rear springs....thick part of shim goes to rear of vehicle.

Sorry for the confusion, if that's still not good enough of a clarification, just say so. Or, if you need more info, just ask.