Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rough Country Springs, How do they ride?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Nov 7, 2001.

How do there lifts ride and flex? I ask their tech department for the spring rates and he said they were 10% over stock.
    Doe that sound right? I looked at the spring tables, 10% sounds a little off to me.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I've got Rough Country Kit on my '72 and I hate them...too stiff and bouncy. 4" Front Springs / Blocks in rear.

Most people on this list agree that Tuff Country is the way to go....soft & flexy and really not expensive.

Of course, any time you lift a vehicle, the additional "arch" in the spring is going to make it stiffer....and terms like "rides nice" or "too stiff" are all relative terms anyway.....you won't know until you experience it for yourself. Maybe there's someone on this list who's close by who can offer you a ride in their K5 so you can start evaluating what you like....?

Good Luck,

-Greg72

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

It really depends on what you are looking for. I have a RC 4" full spring lift and am fine with it. I alleviated alot of the front bounce with ORDs swaybar correction/disconnect kit. It is still a little bouncy on the road, but works great offroad. I have gotten some pretty good flex out of mine. I plan to ramp it as soon as my club finishes our ramp.

Let's put it this way in regard to flex. Many people say they don't rub their fenders with 4" lift and BFG 35" tires. Well, my suspension compressed and flexed enough that one side tire was extended but on the ground while the other side was shoved so far up into the fender and wheel well that I couldn't turn! Ask sluggo45acp about listening to my fenders crumple!

Another thing, their customer service is great. And they ship Fedex 2-day. Order it today and you will have the complete lift (shocks, steering arm, springs, everything) in time for the weekend!

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

3. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

I have the 4" all spring lift on mine and I really like the way it rides. I just installed it about a month ago and the ride isnt too bouncy or stiff. It definitely rides better than it did. So far as flex is concerned just look at the pic in my sig. The springs had been under my truck for less than 2 weeks when that pic was taken.

Scot in KC, MO
    Rough Country wont flex right? - <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun29/aab>Pics</a>
    87 GMC 4" lift, 6 lug 14SF LockRite, 33s

4. KENT

KENT 1/2 ton status

I have the 2.5" lift and love it. great on and off road. Not too stiff and not so much flex that you feel tippy.

I also second what others have said about the customer service. the best I have ever dealt with.

Kent

1989 K5

5. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

The reason the tech guy wouldn't give you the spring rates is he is probably embarrrassed how high they are. That's what you get for using Mexican steel.

The ride in a shortbed p/u was really awful. I can only imagine what it would be like in a K5.

Still Poundin' "pavment" after all these years!!! [​IMG]

6. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i got 4in rough country lift, springs front blocks rear.
    and i love mine. i liek the way it rides, rides rough, but any softer would wierd to me, but i love the flex, i think it flexes awesome.

<font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    85 K5 4IN LIFT 35 GOOD YEAR WRANGLER MT/R, AMERICAN RACING WHEELS

7. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I have their 4 inch lift on two K5's and I love them! Plus you have the extra load capacity to hang a <font color=red>BIG</font color=red> winch bumper and winch on the front.

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!

8. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

For 6" and smaller lifts I would get nothing but Rough Country. Ditto on what everyone else said about good ride and flex.

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings
    SPEAK SOFTLY AND DRIVE A BIG TRUCK

9. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Have had 2inch on a k10 stepside and my current 87k5 much better than stock. As far as bounce shocks control bounce and any unloaded pickup will bounce in back. Used rc shocks
    8000s on k10 and 9000s on blazer.

10. Thanks for all the input,anyone else.

11. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

i have the rough country 4" all spring lift also
    can't complain about the ride, it's not much worse than it was.

<font color=blue>85 blazer</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>88 blazer</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>99 30th ann. TA</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>79 TA</font color=blue>

12. 2BLAZERS

2BLAZERS 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Dang here I was thinking I should be getting the BDS lift for my K-5 and now I am ready lots of people like the Rough Country. I am wanting a six inch all spring lift and now I really can not decide. Anyone compare the RC to the BDS first hand. Buy the way this will be on a 91 Blazer with 14Bolt rear and hopefully a Dana 60 front. Saving money right now. I will need flxx because of the trails we run around here. Please help me make up my mind.

Keizer, OR

13. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Quote:"can't complain about the ride, it's not much worse than it was."

Well, my Skyjacker is BETTER than it was.

I hate to dog you guys' lift kits, but there are better kits out there than Rough Country.

Still Poundin' "pavment" after all these years!!! [​IMG]

14. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

2Blazers,

Check the "Technical Articles" section of this site.....they did a BDS suspension on a later model K5, and they really seemed to love it. Personally, I'd do a BDS suspension over a Rough Country....a set of custom made springs from National would be the best......but that's around $1400 a set last I heard....!!!

You really need to get some first-hand "seat time" in a lifted K5 to know what you want....there have got to be at least a few guys in your area that'll let you do a little "test drive" with their trucks to help make your decision.

-Greg72

15. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Rough country springs ride like a buck board, too stiff. Tough country or BDS for me

16. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

You know, you guys shouldnt be drving trucks if you think they ride rough. Thats what they are all about. I have had my RC lift for almost a year and I can tell you that it rides as good if not better than stock springs . It flexes more than good enough for me. It was cheap. It got here fast and all in all im happy with it. BTW, if it was called Soft Country, I think a lot of these people who dont have any seat time in a rig with an RC lift might say its the best lift out there, but since it says rough and it has a high spring rate it must be terrible. Get off it guys, its a good lift and Id recommend it to anybody.

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings
    SPEAK SOFTLY AND DRIVE A BIG TRUCK

17. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Amen brother! Anyone who says that their lift is better is entitled to their opinion, but I like my Rough Country just fine. The weak front springs of some of the softer kits wouldn't support the weight of my big front bumper and winch!

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!

18. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

Preach on brother!! ...
    I have absolutely 0 complaints about the ride my truck has now. It rides MUCH better than it did with the stock suspension. It flexed enough to get the 33's to hit the fenders with almost alarming regularity out on the Potosi run a couple weekends ago.

Am I saying its the best out there .. No .. but when you compare the price of the complete kit (all 4 springs, shocks, steering arm, brake line extensions, bushings, etc. - $530 delivered to my door w/in 48 hrs) to what the others cost for just springs alone the price just can't be beat. Before anyone says that you get what you pay for, just because something costs 2x as much does not necessarily make it 2x better. The inverse of that is also true.

I have personally have had some seat time in other lifted K5's, specifically one with BDS springs and another with Tuff Country and neither rode nor performed enough better on or off road than mine does to justify the additional costs involved.

All in all I'm very happy with the product and would recommend it to anyone.

Just my .02 ....

Scot in KC, MO
    Rough Country wont flex right? - <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun29/aab>Pics</a>
    87 GMC 4" lift, 6 lug 14SF LockRite, 33s

19. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Have new set of rear springs from RC to replace the dead Supperlift ones. The fronts are also RC springs. Gee I guess this means that I'll have RC springs all the way a round... FINALY! I dont care about the ride on the road but I dont see how any one could like the ride of a K5 lifted comparied to a stock one with sway bars low CG. hey it will go around a cornner that way. with 6 inch lift and 1 inch body lift no swaybars it rides and handels like a off road beast. But then I guess yoiu could put on some real stiff springs and say it rides and handels fine!

72 Blazer CST 400TPI NV4500 NP203/205
    01 Suburban 8100 2500 4X4