Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rough Country springs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Canadianbuilder, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Canadianbuilder

Canadianbuilder Registered Member

I`ve been looking at a 4" rough country suspension kit(front easy ride springs,rear blocks,ubolts,heckethorn 8000 shocks and steering arm)for $295 U.S for a 89 suburban 3/4 ton I`m building.The truck is going to be a daily driver,hunting truck and plow truck next winter.I`d be interested in getting some feedback from members that are running rough country springs as to ride quality,durability and wether or not the easy rides will stand up to carrying a plow.I`m also wondering how good the heckethorn 8000 shocks are?would it be worthwhile upgrading to the 9000`s for 20 bucks more for 4 shocks?
    I`m trying to keep the costs down on this project and the price seems good for the kit,but if it is junk then I`ll consider something else.
    Oh by the way I scored large yesterday,bought a good th400 and 205 for $150 canadian which is equal to $25 U.S dollars :smile1: .I appreciate any info you guys have,thanks.:thumb:

83 k3500 srw:truck: 82 k2500:burb: chassis :weld:89 silverado:burb: 85 :burb: silverado 88 gmc:crewcab:

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i'llgive u 50 u.s. for the 400/205 combo.

i had a rough country 6" on k5, it was very rough riding. it did its job & didn't sag at all w/ a winch on the frt of the rig though, as to a snow plow, i know nothing. i think the 9000's are gas charged, which will not help the rough ride any.

the quality is good, they are local to me so a lot of people around here run their stuff. they usually sell stuff direct to public at a discounted rate, if u go up there & talk to them. some off thier radius arm lifts are not the best fit, but that is the only ones i have seen that have any problems

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

Rough Country doesnt make EZ Rides, they only make Rough Rides. Tuff Country makes EZ Rides. two TOTALLY different animals, which are you looking at?

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Tuff Country = GOOD

Rough Country = BAD

It's easy to get them confused, but it's a mistake you DON'T want to make. My Blazer had Rough Country springs on it when I bought it......those only lasted about 2 months before I ripped them out for something softer.

5. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

I"ve been riding on 4" rough country springs on my 85 K10 for almost 3 years now. But I dont mind, but like it says in the name Rough!. The 4" springs should hold your plow no problem. 5 thick leaves... not very soft at all.

6. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Soon as I can get some new front springs the rough country crap is history. I have their 4" springs on my 71 K20, rides rough and only netted about 3.5", if that. Go with tough country and be happy.

7. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just installed the 4" kit you're talkin' about on my Suburban. When I got through, the front sat 2" higher than the rear, so I went back and installed a 2" add-a-leaf to the rear and now it sits level. I wish I had just bought the all spring kit instead of rear blocks. Also, my kit came with the 9000 shocks and I didn't pay for the upgrade, but it was advertised with the 8000's.

8. Canadianbuilder

Thanks

The kit I`m looking at is definitely a "Rough Country" not a "Tuff Country".The outfit selling it has it listed as an ez ride.After reading the responses here I think I will pass on it.I am trying to keep costs down but for the sake of less than $100 bucks difference there is no point in buying front springs that I probably won`t be happy with.
    The guy I bought the tranny and transfer case from has a 4" lift in another truck he said he would sell me for $50.I told him no because it could be real bear to get them out of the truck.I might reconsider though because they looked like they might be good front springs.They are fairly thin leaves with a military wrap second leaf and urethane bushings.Thanks again for the replies.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Tuff country lifts are fairly cheap and like noted, not junk.

10. Canadianbuilder

nice rig gone huntin

I just looked at your yahoo photos.Your Sub is the same paint scheme as my 89.Mine`s a chevy though with a tailgate not barn doors.Just out of curiousity what size /brand of tires are you running?How`s the ride with the add a leaves in the back?

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm a firm beliver in spending a few bucks more on quality parts. Tuff Country and BDS are the top 2 that come to mind. If your rear springs are in good shape, think shackle flip.

12. 90gmcburb

90gmcburb Registered Member

I am in the same boat, but I am looking at going with a 6"lift. What is the diffrence between getting the rear lift blocks or rear springs? It will be mostly a daily driver and once in a while will play in the mud. Thanks.

13. gone huntin

Those pics. are before the lift with 31's. Now I'm running a 33/12.50/15 on 8" wheels, I could run a 35" tire but I didn't want to re-gear and I can still cruise in OD with the 33's. The add-a-leaf didn't change the ride much, but it is a "long" leaf, not the short ones. It goes just under he primary spring and rides ALOT better than the short ones.

14. gone huntin

As it was explained to me, you are replacing the front spring with new springs that will lift (in your case) 6" over NEW stock. If you just add blocks to the rear then you are lifting it 6" over WORN, SAGGED stock. That's why I had to install the add-a-leafs. The 2" add-a-leafs would have returned the rear height to NEW stock without the lift blocks. So, it might cost a little more, but I'd recommend using springs in the rear istead of blocks.

15. Canadianbuilder

Yeah kinda figured the pics were taken before the lift.I wouldn`t mind seeing some pics of your rig with the lift and tires sometime,when you have time.My rear springs are in good shape.The truck didn`t seem to have a saggy ass when I had the original body on it.The chassis is a 3/4 ton trailering special and the rear leafs packs are huge.The guy I bought it from said he used to pile his seven kids in there and all their camping gear and the ass end hardly settled at all.
    I don`t think I`ll go with a shackle flip though.My first concern is to get the lift in and make sure the truck is sitting level and then once I start driving it see how the truck rides and handles on and off road.Obviously good articulation is important but the type of wheeling this truck will see really doesn`t require a super flexy suspension.Most of it will be on unmaintained bush roads and in cutovers.Washouts,washboard, greasy clay and snow are going to be the main obstacles.I have concerns with a shackle flip on a do all daily driver especially one that may pull a car trailer or camping trailer from time to time.I`ve got4 10 gears in mine and I`m going to run 2857516 (the metric equivalent of 33x11.50x16) bfg mud terrains.Hopefully the narrower tire will work well in the snow and greasy clay we have here.Post up some pics of your rig with the lift when you get a chance.Looking forward to seeing it.:waytogo: