Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rough Country Suspension Kits

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 85NorCalBlazer, Mar 1, 2005.

1. 85NorCalBlazer

85NorCalBlazer Newbie

Hey everyone, how you all doing.

I have a 1985 Blazer, and am thinking about getting a suspension lift for it. I have found a few suspension kits online, and one really caught my eye. It was a 4 inch lift by Rough Country for $300. Almost seemed too good to be true. My friends were telling me it has everything I need to lift it. Do you guys think this is a quality brand? And do you think it is worth purchasing?

Thanks

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Most of the knowledgable guys on here are recommending Tough Country.

Rough Country has a bad reputation for giving an uncomfortable ride.

3. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

iirc, rough country springs are almost twice the spring rate as tuff country. i love my tuff country springs. dont waste your money on rough country....... tuff country isnt much more, and is alot higher quality.

4. 85NorCalBlazer

85NorCalBlazer Newbie

Will 35's fit with that lift?

So go along with that 4 inch lift, will 35's fit? Or would I have to make some cuts for it to fit?

Also, what package from Tuff Country is the best?

Thanks for the help

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

In my honest opinion, I think if you go with 4" Tuff Country springs up front, and ORD's 4" Shackle Flip in the rear, you'll have a nice flexy suspension that have a good quality ride. Give ORD a call and have them put together a complete 4" lift "Kit" with everything you'll need. That's what I'd do. I would think that you'd have too trim the fenders with 4" and 35's.

6. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

"Slightly Modified"

I got the rough country kit and used the front springs and u-bolts....that's it.

Throw away the shocks and blocks then install the ORD 4" shackle flip which i have pictures of on my web page.

I have eliminated the front sway bar for flexibility reasons and really appreciate the extra spring rate the RC springs provide :crazy:

7. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Glad to hear that worked for you, my '72 came with RC front springs and blocks in back. I was planning on the same solution, leave the RC's and put a shackle flip in the rear.

8. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Do a search in the forums. Springs have been talked about alot.

9. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

One other thing to watch is mail order $300 "kits". A lot of the time when you start looking close, you don't get steering correction or you don't get shocks and all of the cheaper kits are going to have blocks in the rear, so make sure you're shopping apples and apples. We send a lot of suspensions out that are around $1K but you're running HD shackles and greasable poly all around with braided brakelines, etc, etc. Moral of the story is there are a lot of important details that can add to the price and kind of sneak up on you.

10. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

To simplify - You get what you pay for. I bought a Rough Country kit because it was cheap, never again will I buy thier JUNK! Tuff Country is a lot better choice.