Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rough Country suspension

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LostChild, Apr 10, 2006.

1. LostChild

LostChild Registered Member

Is anyone running or has anyone ran a tough country 4'' or 6'' lift and what do/did you think about it?

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Rough country or Tuff country? Tough country doesn't make lifts for our trucks. Tuff-Tough, 2 different companies.

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I have been running a Rough Country lift setup on the Burb now for the past couple of years,,when they were first installed, they rode like a dump truck, but softened up pretty quickly.

I just recently (several months back) removed one of the leaves from the front packs to help "soften" the ride a bit, it helped out alot, still a firm ride, but not as harsh.

for the money, it's a decent setup.

4. LostChild

sorry I meant tuff country, it seems rough country has the best price for a 4'' lift kit so thats why I was wondering.

5. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've got a Rough Country 4" up front and don't mind it. (shackle flip rear) Again, for the price it isn't bad. Yes its firm but isn't really bad to me. The spring rate is higher than the tuff country or BDS stuff, but I knew that going in. I got my kit with shocks and a steering arm for under $300 where as a similar kit (front springs/rear blocks, shocks) would have cost me another couple hundred and I'd still have to buy the raised arm for around $50.

Bottom line you get what you pay for. The Rough Country stuff is cheaper, stiffer, but the kit itself had everything I needed for the lift. And it fit my limited budget. Money no object get the BDS or Deaver springs. If you got a little more money in the budget, get the tuff country kit (soft spring rates). Tuff country is probably the most widely used brand on here if you were to count it.

6. barneybasher1010

barneybasher1010 1/2 ton status

I run a 4" Rough Country Lift with springs, blocks(:doah: ) steering arm and shocks. Came all in the kit I got.(had to get longer brake lines). I like it. It rides good I think. It does well on raod and off road.

7. factory redneck

factory redneck Registered Member

I have a 4in rough all spring.....The only thing I would tell you is get a good set of shocks. I only paid 565.00 all spring shiped to the house(springs, shocks,and steering arm). But like I said upgrade the shocks...other than that I like it...

8. viperrgh20

viperrgh20 Registered Member

what about tuff country?

9. LostChild

I am diffently on a tight budget and I can get the rough country lift for under $400 bucks (with out S/H) that inclundes upgraded shocks, steering arm, and brake lines front and rear, or the tuff country same kit for around $530 bucks (with out S/H) Thats the bigg reason way I was wondering if the lift was any good.

10. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Find out how much shipping is before going rough country, cause you can pick up the tough country stuff right from the warehouse in West Jordan. Would probably save you money.

11. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

i think it is funny how people blame the shocks for the crappy ride of cheap springs. people, unless you are baja racing, shocks are shocks. you just need to make sure you get the correct length.

12. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Go look at JC Whitney's website. They carry both and they typically run free shipping on parts over a certain $ amount. I got my shipping free on my kit.

13. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I disagree.

14. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

ditto,,,,,,,

15. LostChild

I will have to check out JC whitney to if they have the free shipping, and I picked up a set of brand new sx8000 shocks for way cheap already, I would like to find a use 4'' lift, so let me know if you guys hear of some one selling one.