Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rough country vs. tuff country

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BIGDAN112686, Oct 14, 2003.

1. BIGDAN112686

BIGDAN112686 1/2 ton status

im tryin to decide which 4 inch lift to go with. im down to deciding between rough county and tuff county. i know tuff country is the better lift, but i can save about $250 if i go with the rough country. im not on a real tight budget, but $250 is enough to make it a tough decision. any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated. im gonna try to order before weeks end, so thanks in advance.

2. BIGDAN112686

oh yea, i have a 1990 k5 and i plan on gettin 35 inch bfg muds.

3. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I'll make it easy... Go with BDS...
    I Love mine /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah...
    I remember seeing a post not less than six months ago about the two spring brands. I'm not sure which one it was, but one of the brands really sucked and the other got pretty good reviews. Try doing a search using the two brand names covering the last 6 months.

5. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Rough Countrys are much stiffer than Tuff Countrys, so it all depends on what you want. If you're looking for flex, the Tuffs will be better, but if you're just doing mud and will be keeping the truck fairly level, get the Rough Countrys. They're cheaper and they won't sag and look like crap in a year or two. Pick whichever sounds more appealing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

RC's are VERY stiff.spend the extra 250,you wont regret it.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

agreed... BDS springs are $90 a pop and have an unconditional guarentee too. bust em, they replace em. go to www.jdsoffroad.com and ur set.

j

8. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

So has anyone out here on the west coast ordered from them?

I would be afraid to see the shipping fee if they actually shipped 4 springs all the way out here from NY...but $90 per spring seems like a good deal for a lifetime warranty, even with transcontinental shipping.

What spring did you get the $90 quote on?

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

If you buy the Rough Country springs, you will end up spending more later to replace them with something softer....

They were on my truck when I bought them and they are miserable (so stiff that I could drive around with my shocks disconnected and not even notice the difference!!!) /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Seriously, buying a crappy spring to save money is "false economy"....find a way to keep saving for a decent set of springs (ie Tuff Country) and you'll be much happier in the long run.

10. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    So has anyone out here on the west coast ordered from them?

I would be afraid to see the shipping fee if they actually shipped 4 springs all the way out here from NY...but $90 per spring seems like a good deal for a lifetime warranty, even with transcontinental shipping.

What spring did you get the $90 quote on?

[/ QUOTE ]

4" lift, GM front springs. If I remember right, the total including shipping to the west coast (im in WA) was right about $230-240 or so? i forget. On jds web site, if you send them your email, they will email u back a quote automoatically/instantly... Im pretty sure if you follow the order process a little further you can get a shipping total and everything. not 100% sure but worth a try.

j

11. BIGDAN112686

thanks for the replys. im still torn. im only goin 4 inches because my parents are makin me. and i probaly will wanna go bigger after i wear out my first set of tires. but i guess havin the better lift is still good. anymore comments are welcome(thanks for everything already)

12. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You can pick them up from Gratteries 4WD in Hillsboro for te same price, and you don't have to wait for delivery! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

There are other things you should consider. The 4" lift will give you more like 5" of height, maybe a little more. Then you will need different shocks, extended brake lines, and raised steering arm to correct your draglink angle. Are you gonna get all 4 new springs or 2 front springs and blocks for the rear? You could possibly need longer drive shafts, not likely but you never know for sure. Then you got the issue that 35s might rub with just a 4" lift, gear ratio not being low enough for 35s, blah, blah.

These aren't reasons not to get a lift, just other things to consider in your budget. Look in the for sale section on this sight, you could probably find all the parts you need,plus a good set of tires for a fraction of what you could buy it retail for. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I just looked into BDS. The price is the same as Tuff Country and the warranty is attractive. However, they do not release spring rate data. Their 4" springs have 4.75" of free arch height and 5 leaves. Comparing those specs to the manufacturers listed in the spring rate chart on this site implies that BDS is 400-500 lbs/in. That's pretty typical: better than Rough Country, but more comparable to Tuff Country's HD than their EZ-ride.

For me, not knowing the spring rate will turn me away.

Has anybody owned both BDS and EZ-ride?

15. jekbrown

spring rate on 4" BDS is 425... this is common knowledge and is posted quite often. who said it was some kind os secret? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

j

16. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just put 4 inch BDS springs on my 86 blazer in the front last week and they are really soft on and off the road. The only problem is that I took it to Pismo Dunes last weekend and found out that even though they are soft they are not made for jumping. Now the front end is two inches lower. I dont blame the springs, its my damn right foot. Glad they have that warrenty. Also if anyone is interested I plan on selling the new ones when I trade the old flat ones in. Its going to be a few months because I am having custom Deaver springs made. I would still go with the BDS over any other non custom spring because of the cost and the performance.