Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rough Country

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Jul 27, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I am going to have a chance to make about $500 over the next 2 weeks. I really, really want to get a rough country 4" lift. I can't decide wheter I want to get rear springs or blocks (I wonder if blocks will be begging for wheel hop when I get on the throttle??).... anyway, it's like 300 for the kit /w blocks, and 479 for the kit w/ rear springs... Is rough country as unbearably rough as many posts claim it to be???? I know I should do a shackle flip and BDS or tough country EZ ride,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but that is Going to be more $$..... all I really want to do is gain a little clearance..... I'm not looking for a cadillac ride or awsome flex..... I will see not rocks,,,, 80% mud, 10% mild trails, 10% street.... mostly poser stuff :doah:
    Somebody please tell me I am not wasting my money if I order one of these kits (block or rear springs)............. will it work ok for what I want??

2. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

you can get some used fronts and a flip from ORD, DIY4x, SKY, etc. for under 350. Heck you could probably find some old blazer in a JY and get the 52's off the rear do a swap up front, or get someones old 52's when they do a lift...... There are cheaper and Better ways than the way your thinking IMO. My brother went your way and HATES his rough country stuff, that said you might love em'.... But i do hear alot of negative things. There are cheaper ways to go though, and you'll get better results. :D

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I have there front springs. They ride rough hints the name :D

4. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

i have the 6in ones in front .Way to Rough imo.

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I have the 4" spring kit on the front, with blocks out back, now granted i have quite abit more weight out back, with the Burb, and "what" i have in it, but yes, at first mine rode like a dump truck, messed with the shocks a bit and the more i drove on it, it progressivly got smoother, but not smooth enough in my book, so i took the second leaf from the bottom out of the front packs, and while still running a quad shock setup on the front, with sway bar, it is MUCH nicer.

Yes still firm, but alittle more giving on the bigger bumps, but if the highway is not real harsh, it's a decent ride.

It did however lower the stance just a bit, not alot, barely noticable, but may be ok if you run blocks and your rear springs sag a bit.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Your suspension is something you really don't want too cheap out on. Think of it this way, how much more is it going too cost you in the long run when you're not happy with the Rough Country chap and have too replace it with a quality lift ??? Do yourself a favor and go with BDS or Tuff Country.

7. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

several trucks ago i have a set of 6" springs front and rear from national spring for around $400. but i also had to buy shocks. it rode a billion times better than the rough countys i had and they was only 4". i agree you dont want to skimp on your suspention. you need to realize there are cheaper ways to get the good stuff. although i havent delt with national spring for several years so i cant quote you a price from them anymore. i still say stay away from rough country and tough country i have had both and hated both.
    i know money can be tight at times but good springs and gread shocks are well worth the extra empty wallet time

balzer

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Do more homework.....you're not ready to buy anything yet.

As a "previous" owner of Rough Country springs, I can tell you the front springs are so stiff (Something like 700 lbs/in!) that when I disconnected my shocks and drove it again, I couldn't tell the difference.... that's BAD!

Think about a good set of springs up front...spend the extra money to get some TCs (or whatever). Don't cheap out on the front springs.

If you want to save some money, buy blocks for the back if you must, or do a cheap "through the hanger" style shackle flip for the lift you want. If you know anyone with a welder and a cutoff wheel you can do the rear lift for the price of a pizza and a 12-pack.

Shocks is probably another area where you could shave off a few bucks.... but remember that you may end up buying them again when you decide you want something better.

My suggestion is to dedicate the money to good front end components....if the truck has a nice compliant front suspension you will enjoy the way it drives a lot more than if the front is too stiff and CRASHES over every bump and sends you off the seat and into the roof! If the rear is too stiff....it may feel a little chattery over rough pavement (especially in corners) but nowhere near as annoying as if the front end is set up wrong....

Don't let that $$$ burn a hole in your pocket before you have a chance to consider all the options!!! :saweet:

:usaflag:

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I have a 6" Rough Country kit and I think it rides ok. It's kinda rough, but I don't mind. I have had SuperLift springs before and they ride about the same. I never had any other brands to compare to.

10. 78Suburban

ok, ok, maybe yall talked me outta RC :o
    Does anyone make a complete kit (springs, shocks, steering arm)? I really want something that will easily bolt on.
    How much money am I looking at for a quality TC or BDS kit, with front and rear springs???????? How do skyjacker springs rid and cost???? Could someone give me a ballpark figure of how much I need to spend?
    I'd rather not keep the rear springs, because they ride really junkey right now.

any help would me nice,,,,,, I don't think I really have the cajonies for 52's and a shackle flip right now, so I am definitley looking for a bolt on kit....

11. 85454blazer

85454blazer Registered Member

I got a RC lift on my blazer and have no probs. at all all spring no blocks.

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The shackle flip kits from ORD or DIY are essentially bolt on. Front springs are a no brainer. Like some of the other guys said, just get better quality springs and a flip kit.

13. 78Suburban

where is the cheapest place to buy TC or BDS springs???? is it really bad to just buy a kit w/ rear springs too? my rear springs ride crappy, so I don't think I would like the shackle flip without getting new rear springs....

what are some decently price shocks that perform well? How do skyjacker nitro or platinums do?

14. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have the 4" RC kit with blocks on my suburban, I wish I'd installed new springs in the rear instead of the blocks due to sag. I had to go back and install an add-a-leaf to get the rear end level. The RC kit is kinda stiff, but to me it's ok. I'm not gonna pull it off to replace it with something else.

15. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

You can get Tuff Country cheap at Suspensionconnection.com That is where my son bought his. He got 4" front springs,shocks,stering arm, all shipped for around 450.00. He got the rear blocks, and they did ok. We recently swapped them out for a ORD shackle flip and zerorates. You can also buy the stuff from ORD. If you save a little more money you can do their greasable bushings also.
    I run TC 4" EZ + 0rates on my 91 Blazer. They ride better than the stock ones, and it didn't take them long to break in. The only problem with the EZs is that if you are real hard on them or add a bunch of weight to your truck they will droop faster than the others because of the spring rate being so low.(so I've heard) Never seen it though. I am in the middle of an EXO w/ 8x2x1/4 bumpers, so I'll see what that kind of weight does to the springs.

16. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

For the rear, I'd still go with a shackle flip over a 4" lift spring for a soft ride. The more you arch a spring to get lift out of it, the stiffer it will ride.

If your current rears are wasted....ask around for a set of "stock" later model K5 springs....they have the teflon slides on them and are pretty soft. Most guys who have done a lift will throw them away (or give them away) so all you usually have to do is ask.

I put a set from an '89K5 on my 1st Gen (for free!) and they work well......they ride soft and flex pretty darn well (Have you seen my flex pic in the "Flex Thread"?) :saweet:

17. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I put a 4" RC lift (all spring) in my pulling truck. I wanted the added height but also retain (or better) my weight carrying capacity for pulling. I LOVE the rears as they are all they claim to be, but the fronts were way too harsh (even for me). I swapped the fronts out for a set of used TC's I got locally.

Plan on spending a few bucks for front springs and shocks. The rear you CAN go blocks if you are not planning high HP or rocks (i.e. high traction), but you might end up saving a few bucks in the end by going all spring now. I guess you could try the blocks and if they don't provide what you are looking for, you could sell them to recoup some of the $$$$.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

18. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

My '72 had RC 4" front springs and rear blocks when I bought it, I am dying to replace them. When I hit 50 on a rough road it's like wrestling a fat chick trying to keep her on the road, and to keep my ass in the seat. I think ORD quoted me about $400 for TC fronts, and I'll do a flip on the rear.

19. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

A shackle flip changes your shackle from a "tension" design to a "compression" design, making your truck ride a lot smoother. The smoothest rear ride would be with stock springs and a shackle flip. I think 4" rear springs would ride smooth enough also though, and may be easier to install than a shackle flip depending on what tools you have. I ran 10" of lift using a 6" rear spring and 4" shackle flip. It rode way better after the shackle flip than before.

20. jason915

jason915 Newbie

My 4" skyjacker softride cost me about $500.00 but they are worth it to me I had 4" rough country springs in front and add a leafs in the rear to compensate and my truck was a log wagon way too stiff, now its only a tad bit firmer than a stock 3 leaf set up.