Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rough Country

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by four_by_ken, Jun 18, 2001.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Anyone have much experience with Rough Country? Does their name explain their springs?

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Dont know havent used them personally. Rode in a couple of rigs that have them. Not bad ride at all. this was a post done yesterday on it though. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=blazer4x4&Number=158623&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5>http://www.coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=blazer4x4&Number=158623&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5</A>

3. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I got a 4" rough country lift. Real nice ride!

<font color=purple>Have you hugged your K5 today?</font color=purple>

4. KENT

KENT 1/2 ton status

Just installed mine this weekend. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet, but I will let you know when id do.

1989 K5

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have done a lot of research and everyone says they are good. I have spoken with them on the phone and have gained my confidence in them. I just ordered the 4" full spring kit this morning. The full spring 4" kit is on sale for $459 through the end of this month.

85 GMC Jimmy, 305 w/TH700-NP208, 32X11.5 BFG ATs, 15x10 Eagles, Smittybuilt tube nerf bars and bumbers

6. four_by_ken

I would be getting a 6 inch kit, maybe even 8 inch. I wonder how much harsher they would be. I want a real soft spring. Considered Nationals, but I just cant convince my selft at the time to spend that much money. Anyone know what the 6 or 8 inch cost. And you say full spring kit. Does that include u-bolts and shocks also? You also mentioned I talked to 'them'. What place did you go through, or directly with Rough Country? What is their phone number.

Thanks
    Ken

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

The full spring kit includes front and rear springs, shocks, steering arm, brake line brackets, and all the necessary hardware. "Them" is Rough Country. I found the kit through resellers, but found it cheapest direct. They can be found at www.roughcountry.com or contacted at 800-222-7023. I just checked on the web page and the six inch kit with all that stuff including rear springs is $650. Shipping to Texas from TN cost me about $80. Got questions? Give 'em a call.

85 GMC Jimmy, 305 w/TH700-NP208, 32X11.5 BFG ATs, 15x10 Eagles, Smittybuilt tube nerf bars and bumbers

8. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

Go to www.desertrat.com and pickup their 8 inch front springs for 127.00. To see them click the garage sale link at the top of the page.
    Good luck :)
    -Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

9. four_by_ken

There is something wrong with that add. I called rough country and they never offered an 8 inch Chevy spring. I called desert rat and the guy gave me some wierd story about that they are Wagoneer springs or something strange. And that they were already sold and gone anyways.

No thanks. Someting wierd there.

Ken H.

10. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Rough Country is not a soft spring. It rides real nice, but it's not soft. It's a good spring for those who want a winch and/or heavy custom bumpers and for towing. If you want a really soft spring, you need to go with an EZ ride type spring. I love my rough country lift, but I'm just giving you an honest heads up. I didn't go with an EZ ride cause I do a lot of towing and will be putting some custom bumpers with a winch on mine. I've heard tough country makes a good EZ ride spring. You can get them from off road design and you can also go to the ORD forum and ask Steve all sorts of Q's about them. You can also find the link to their site on the links page.

<font color=purple>Have you hugged your K5 today?</font color=purple>

11. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

Well, I guess I'll have to bolt mine up this week and see what I find out. I really don't want this to turn into some 4wheelparts style horror storry. Thanks for the info guy :)
    -Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

12. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Let me tell it to you straight. Rough Country makes a quality lift kit and has very good prices, but their spring rates are about the highest of any major brand. This helps with durability, but gives a stiffer ride. For a soft ride, you want a lower spring rate with more arch (to give the same amount of lift). Nationals are the best, but if you aren't made of money, try the Tuff Country EZ-Ride springs. Oh, and it will also help the ride to go with a shackle-flip in the rear to use less spring lift. Blocks are generally not recommended unless they are 2" or less. But if you get a really stiff lift spring, the blocks won't give that much axlewrap. Don't worry about a $40 or $50 difference in the price of popular lift kits. If one has better springs, go with it. You experience them every single time you're in the vehicle, so don't skimp.

Also, sway bar disconnects are a must with any lift kit (except body lifts). The manufacturers won't tell you this, but it is still true. They will lie to you about other things as well. For example, they will not tell you accurately "how it will ride". Use this board as a resource instead or ride with somebody who has the kit you're considering. They also sell you the same shock valving regardless of spring rate or vehicle weight, yet they claim that the system is custom tuned for your vehicle. Oh yeah? Then why do pickups and Blazers get the same rear springs? Anyway, the lift springs are longer than stock, so proper sway bar geometry is impossible without adding the pivot point that the disconnects provide. Even a soft spring will ride like crap in this binding condition. Or if it'll be off-road only, just junk the sway bar.

And don't forget about your steering correction(s).

<font color=green>If a K-5 is "Built not Bought", why does this stuff cost me so much money? [​IMG] </font color=green>

13. four_by_ken

Sway bar? Whats that? Must be the part I through out a long time ago. :-)

These axles and the rest of the drvetrain is under a Jeep at the moment, I am taking it apart and putting it all into a Blazer, as soon as I get it home.

I havnt run a sway bar in a long long time. I think I may go with the HD Tuff Country in the front and the EZ in the rear. I think I am going to do all spring instead of the shackle. Then grease up all the bushings real good. And maybe try out some Revolvers.

No clue what shocks I will run yet.

Ken

14. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Yeah, to my knowledge Rough Country DOES NOT make an 8" spring. I have been doing research on Rough Country as well because I also want to go for their 6" lift. You just can't beat the price. I know they have higher spring rates and that is another reason I wanted to go w/Rough Country--I don't want my springs sagging after a little while. Rough Country is a company that has been around for quite a while. Some of the older guys may vouch for this. Just look at the older four-wheeling magazines. Rough Country used to be the sh*t back in the day. Didn't the original Bigfoot run some variation of Rough Country springs?