Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rough Country

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wheelnut46, Apr 14, 2002.

1. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

Doing a little bathroom reading this morning with the JC Whitney catalog and saw ads for Rough Country lift kits and shocks and Heckethorn shocks. Are these brands any good? Normally I'm sceptical of anything JC Whitney but I know I shouldnt be. They carry good name brands too - not just junk. Thought of you guys and laughed when reading through the Jeep section though.

2. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

from what i've read on here they sound like a pretty good product for the money but tend to be a little on the stiff side.

3. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

my 6 in lift kit rides great. ALot of people comment on how great my truck rides now. I think it rides smoother now than it did when stock. If i had to do it again i would get the same thing
    kyle

4. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

I am happy with mine. I have the four inch full spring kit. It does feel a little stiff to me sometimes, but for the money, you cant beat it, its the most echonomical kit on the market. If i had it to do over agiain, I would have gone with the ORD Shackle flip, and 4 inch front springs... Heinsight.
    Ike

5. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

I've got the 4" with the shackle flip. It flexes decently, I'm running without the swaybar and the springs are stiff enough that it's not a problem on the street. Can't beat the price for all that the kit includes.

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have the 4" full spring kit. My rear springs sagged so bad, they had to be replaced. Hence, shackle flip was not an option for me. Had to get new rear springs. Their customer service and shipping is great. I would recommend buying directly from them (http://rough.roughcountry.com).

My rig's ride is not as soft as some others, but it is fine for me. I get plenty of flex. As a matter of fact, I sit higher with my RC 4" than a friend with a skyjacker 4" and 3" body lift. I also flex enough that I tore the snot out of my fenders first time out with the lift and 35" BFG MTs. Still rub the inner fenders with fenders trimmed and 1" ORD body lift!

Also works good for me as I have a camper and a 4,000# boat that I tow. You get what you pay for, but I would buy from them again if doing another 4" lift.

7. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

anybody have pic's posted with 4 inch all spring rough country lift with 33's?

8. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

9. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

man those 32's sure look small can't imagine 33's would look much better.

RE:Still rub the inner fenders with fenders trimmed and 1" ORD body lift!
    does this happen just when your flexing or on the street too? I plan on going with bfg all t"s and would prefer not to have to do a body lift as well. this truck is mainly used just for running back and forth to work.

10. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

yup .. sure do .. check out link in my sig.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

33s don't rub on every truck with a 4". You've got to try pretty hard to rub.

12. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I can only say.. . I love Rough Country lifts..
    they have the best highway manners in regards to ride and off road.. they aren't tooooo soft. They are just right.. Plus you can't beat them for the price..

13. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Before the body lift and fender trim, I got NO rub from the 35s on the street. And I run 15x10 Centerline Hellcat wheels. The first time offroad we were going through some ravines where the "channel" was shifting from one side to the other. The kind of stuff that causes your axles to do a lot of flexing back and forth. With the 10 inch rims, the tires were really rubbing the fenders under compression and turn. As a matter of fact, I COULDN'T turn under compression.

I had a straight body and didn't want to trim the fenders. But, after they got hit by the tires and I was risking serious damage to the tires, they got trimmed. I trimmed and finished it with the Bushwacker Cutout flares. I think the look is great. I also added the 4.5" competition style bumpstops and the longer HD front shackles in addition to the 1" ORD body lift. I still rub in some circumstances. Under extreme compression (usually a hard landing), I can have the tire still impact the rear of the front inner fender.

But, not all trucks, tires, or lifts are the same.

14. Look at my webshots file of my Suburban.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I run 4" and 35s too and I agree with you. You've got to bounce it pretty hard to get tire rub.