Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rough Countrys' gotta go.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SCJimmy, Jul 31, 2003.

1. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Rough Countrys\' gotta go.

OK, I'm gonna admit it, the cheap springs were NOT the way to go. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I need recommendations for good, make that unbelieveably good riding 4" lift springs.

I have read about BDS, Tuff Countrys, and others.

The wife refuses to ride in it, It's making her car sick. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Was going to lower it back down to stock with 32's, but an axle with 4.56's fell in my lap, and I really want to keep it at 4".

So, springs, flip, or springer conversion in the rear, and what brand if springs up front.

It's primarily a DD/ tow vehicle, with a little trail action every now and then.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Re: Rough Countrys\' gotta go.

Most popular ones are the BDS and Tough Country (<--my choice)

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Make it easy for yourself, just call ORD (970) 945-7777 and get thier 4" shackle flip for the rear (Hopefully you still have your stock rear springs) and a set of 4" Tuff Country EZ Rides for up front. There ya go, one call gets it all. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I absolutly love my BDS springs!!!!
    I've had Superlift Superides before and they were okay, but the BDS springs are a lot better. For the rear, I'd go with the shackle flip...

5. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Im running Superlift and they are stiff but i like them, also dont have to run a sway bar with them /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

I put Tuff Country HDs on my 454 equiped 1 ton and it rides like a Caddy. If you used the Tuff Country EZ rides I can only imagine how nice it would be. Out back get new springs too, I used the echobit shackle flip and it just messes too much stuff up for my taste.

7. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I've got 4" BDS ones in the front and they seem a bit stiff to me. They're a lot stiffer than my stock 3 leaf quad shock setup anyway. That road like a Cadillac and actually rode better than my Dad's IFS truck. I mean, the ride now isn't terrible now it just pogosticks a lot more.

I have a shackle flip in the back and have no complaints other than the pinion angle.

8. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

my roughtcountry 4" lift is super soft compared to my other truck. not sure on what the other lift is brandwise. but when i drive the k5 after drivin the other one...i always scare myself the first few times i make a corner...gotta remember that i dont have a sway bar and that they are pretty soft springs. id almost hate to see how soft a BDS lift is compared to those.

NITRO

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Gotta tell you I agree 100% on your assessment of Rough Country......they earned that name for sure!!!

I had a set on my '72 (3 leaf pack, almost 1/2" thick leaves) the spring rate was something like 700 Lbs/in!!! No wonder they rode like crap!!!

Some of the softer springs like Tuff Country are down in the 395 Lb/in range which will probably feel like night-and-day to you in terms of ride quality.

There is such a thing as TOO soft. I've got a custom pack that's down in the 250 Lb/in range and it DOES ride soft, but it also has a lot of body roll (side to side).....as a natural side effect of that soft rate. A sway bar would help a lot, but I've got crossover steering so I don't have any easy solutions there.....

Just my $.02

10. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

slap a set of zero rates and a nice 10,000Lb winch on the front. the winch will soften up the springs and the zero rates will give you the height the winch drops your rig....
    NO?!?
    ok, from what i have been told the BDS is a great way to go. and after riding on a set the other day in a K10, i concure.

another way is to check the local spring shops in your area. then you can pay a lot more, but get a lot more as well. 5 inches up front and the axle moved fwd 1.75 inches for example. and they can make the spring rate soft and use a lot of thin leaves for a nice flex, soft ride and longer lasting than just slapping a winch up front.
    Grant
    PS, thew winch fix is a good way to con your better half into letting you get a winch... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

What is the spring rate of the BDS? It is not listed in the tech article. (hint hint Steve /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif) And why does it seem so many people are using shackle flips rather than just using the same lift springs out back? I'm not trying to hijack and turn this into another flip thread just want to know why is all.

12. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

get a new wife /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. just kidding /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

i have the rough country 4" lift springs also and
    do ride "rough". but for the price i am happy. plus
    it keeps me awake when i drive the 43 miles to work
    at 4 am in the morning /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

13. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Paxx,

If you think about the stock "tension style" setup, the shackle doesn't have much ability to move under compression, only droop. This is why it seems like it's stiffer and better for hauling loads....

The shackle-flip puts the shackle in "compression" and it has much more freedom of motion, especially when the truck is trying to stuff a tire. The shackle can really move and let that spring flatten out to give you better articulation.

I'm not sure if that's the ONLY reason, but that seems like a pretty good one..... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

14. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Cool thnx a lot Greg /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Now anyone know the spring rate of the BDS springs?

15. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    get a new wife /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. just kidding /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No way man! Mine just suprised me with a parts shipment from LMC!

Stuff I really needed, and was very happy to get /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thanks for the replies folks, I think the 4" TC's would be great for the front. I am torn on the rear flip though. Looks like it would be a good opportunity to get that cv rear shaft I was need'in though

Think I will call up ORD on Monday.

Mucho Gracias! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

16. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

I will take the rough country lift off your hands for you.

17. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a Procomp 6" lift and it rides stiff as hell! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    I heard that Procomp lifts are softer than most others and thats why I bought it but know I don't believe a word of it.
    My front springs wont even flex on the ramp. Pro comp is one of the most expensive lifts too. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I do have to admit they stand very tall, havent seen any other strait axle chevys taller than mine equipped with 6"s when I had 33"s. Has anybody else ever used procomp stuff? opinion?

85K5 3/4ton,14bolt,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14 welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Pro-comps are just as stiff as Rough Country. That's why you hate them.

19. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

I like the kidney bruising ride, makes me feel like I am driving a truck and not a car.

Also it limits me having to give people rides too, only the truly devoted ride with me. LOL!

20. BlazinNewTrails

BlazinNewTrails Registered Member

I bought my Blazer with 2 1/2" Rancho front springs and the rear block that accompanied it. The front was stiff as hell, and the truck swayed dangerously over expansion joints, etc.
    I bought a set of ProComp 4" springs for the front and threw an add-a-leaf under the rear to even it up. It worked really well, the ProComp is quiet a bit softer than the Rancho's I replaced, and the add-a-leafs stiffened the back just enough to even it out!