Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rough Idle, Hesitation

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nathanf14, Jun 26, 2000.

1. nathanf14

nathanf14 Newbie

I have an '87 K5 with a 350 TBI. Everything is stock. I had a rebuilt engine installed 11/99 and although it doesn't burn oil anymore, I still have a problem with the way it runs. It is very cold natured and has an intermittent rough, unstable idle symptom. After it warms up, it runs better but still doesn't seem to run as strong as it should. After I have been on the highway, it runs very smooth for the first 1 or 2 stops. When I get into traffic it starts to idle rough again. I have replaced the fuel pump and fuel gauge sending unit, throttle position sensor, distributor and all related ignition components. I suspect some component of the emissions control system but I'm not sure which one. The ECM has no stored trouble codes. Has anyone ever had a similar problem? If so, what did you do? Thanks.

2. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

had the same problem...after replacing the spark plugs and vacuum lines I found teh cam shaft was all messed up. it was newer than my engine but my 350 model is known for eating cams. (at least thats what the repairman said.) hope i helped you.

Bigger is Better
    Cameron Burnett
    82 Jimmy

3. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

It could be as simple as new spark-plugs. After doing a overhall there will be a few month's of changing oil and spark-plugs(due to honing-resedues in the cylinders). Did you do anything to the carborator? Pull a few plugs and describe the color. It should be light brown. If it's dry black and soothy(sp) you could have a rich condition. Just a few ideas, other's here have alot more experience.
    Dont get a shop tune-upp of the carb before the new pistonring's has had a few months to setle in the cyllinder.

<font color=blue>Espen88k5 at: </font color=blue>http://espen.coloradok5.com

4. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.