Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rough ride on my lift kit-shocks?s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camokrawler, Apr 2, 2006.

1. camokrawler

camokrawler Registered Member

i have an 87 longbed with a 6 inch superlift with rear springs and to be honest it rides horrible i feel every bounce in the road. could it be my superlift shocks or could the body lift add to the bounce. not unbearible but if i could be fixed that would be great any input appriciated
    camo krawler

2. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I don't have an answer but my 4" Superlift was the same, super harsh ride. It did subside a bit over time but it's still harsh.

3. camokrawler

camokrawler Registered Member

yeah i think its due to the high spring rates in superlifts kit plus i do have the rear springs

4. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

I have a 3" superlift kit on my 89 K5 and it rides very harsh but hey,it comes with the territory;)

5. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

spring rate!! superlift spring rate is very high, somewhere in the 600 lb range, whereas tough country is onlt in the 390 lb range, very soft. if you have not had them very long see about taking them back where you bought them. i have tough country 4" hd lift and it rides very nice, almost too nice. just my 2 cents

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeppers, its all about the spring rate. The high end 4x4 spring makers (alcan, deaver etc) all use thinner leaves with more leaves in the pack. Rancho HDs, Superlift etc have a hella-high spring rate and because of that you ain't gonna get much flex... and you'll feel every single bump on the road too. Good highend shocks never hurt, but your problem starts with the springs.

j

7. Brians89K5

Brians89K5 1/2 ton status

I had rancho 9000 on my truck with the 4 inch superlift kit and it rode like crap. There was no way I could get it to ride softer, the spring rate is just way too high.

~Brian

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

also the more arch in a spring the harder it is to flaten out like a spring wants to do in the cycling of the spring over bumps and such.

flater spring = nice ride

taller arched springs = harder rides

just the price we pay.

but the more you play with thinner leafs and rates the better you can make it.

you could do 2" rear springs and 4" flip for much better ride.

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

What type of spring rates are the higher end springs running? I'm going to change mine out this fall as they are too rough.

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

tuff country or bds spring. are the 2 good ones thay talk about all the time.

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

It will probably soften up some after you drive it for awhile. If you can take it out and trailride the truck and flex the suspension up. My TC HD's rode pretty bad at first. After I drove it around for awhile and went on a couple wheeling trips it broke in and softened up some.

Harley

12. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

If you haven't done it allready, ditch the swaybar. It makes a huge difference. A 6 inch lift makes the swaybar sitting in a strange angle and the swaybar actually prevent the springs from working correct. I also have cut off the front and rear springclamps and only left the one close to the center of the spring. That made the ride a bit softer but it's not something I would recommend anyone else to do since the spring can move sideways without the springclamps.

13. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Superlift are stiff. Wheel the hell out of it a couple of times and see if they soften up. I just wheeled my TC 56" rears real hard this weekend and they lost 2" of lift.:eek1: :eek1: :eek1: