Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rough running TBI 350

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by G-Force8, Dec 17, 2006.

1. G-Force8

G-Force8 1/2 ton status

Whuz up gang

Trying to trouble shoot the shimmy in my 3-fitty

My '91 Burbs' TBI 350 started running rough ( physically shaking ) at idle. It runs smooth under acceleration,but with noticable power loss ( of course it is stock and about to hit 200K mi ) and a slight hissing that I suspect may be the throttle body gasket. I put new plugs and wires in, and it improved some,but not enough. I just bought a new O2 censor thinking that might help,but haven't installed it yet. I'm thinking I could pull the plugs and check the gapping.

what do you guys think

any suggestions?

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It sure sounds like a vacuum leak to me. Have you taken the time to check all you vacuum lines and fittings?

3. G-Force8

G-Force8 1/2 ton status

nope, have not looked at a single vaccuum line

I will do that when I plug in the new O2 censor in a few days

thanks for your .02$

4. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

2X :D

5. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

third that:D

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Ummm..... maby replace the TB gasket? That will cause a rough running /high idle. As said check/ replace your vaccum lines. Also might want to pull the IAC and clean it. They get carboned up and leak.... But...... The first thing you should do before anything, is check for trouble codes.
    A new fuel filter would not hurt either.

7. G-Force8

G-Force8 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies guys.

I went ahead and bought a new TB gasket for good measure. Though, it hasn't had any problem high-idling,just shaking at idle. I replaced the fuel filter last year when I put in a new fuel pump.

Without fail, a new O2 censor, new TB gasket and probably new vaccuum lines will be replaced with an oil change this weekend.

We'll see

8. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

How did you get on? I had a bad idle at start up for years. It would run on 7 for anything from 5 to 30 seconds then clear itself. If you drove off before it was up on 8 it would not clear at all. I used to replace the plugs and it would be better for a week or so then back to acting up.
    I tore that motor down last week as I've just blown my newly rebuilt motor:doah: and needed some parts, and found that I had a massive crack in the head allowing coolant to get into the cylinder when not running.
    Funny thing is I never had oil in the coolant and never had coolant frothing up my oil. Weird.