Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rough running until warm - up.. UPDATE

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4by4bygod, Oct 1, 2004.

1. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Nov 13, 2003
    About a month ago, I posted that my 87 w/305 tbi ran like crap until the thermostat opened up. I changed the temp sensor and also tried a new MAP sensor, to no avail.

Among the many fine suggestions that were posted here, somebody suggested a vacuum leak as being the problem.. I did have a coolant weep where the intake met the front of the block, but I wasn't sold on the idea of that being a possible source of my problem..

My buddy who owns a repair shop checked it out for me, and sure enough, that was the prob. I had blown an intake gasket, so they changed the gaskets out, along with flushing the coolant and changing the water pump as it had a slight leak too. Experience has taught me that when one leak is fixed, the water runs out the next weakest area, and I didn't need to frag the pump at night or far away, so I just had them fix it.

The downside was cost of course, because the labor is quite intensive, but it runs great, and now I don't have to worry about it this winter.

Moral of the story: don't ignore leaks, and post often on CK5. Thanks for the help guys.

Tom /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

Best Products, Needed Protection, Direct to you