Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ROUGH Sketch, Front End 1.0..would it work?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by DusterRT, Oct 27, 2002.

1. DusterRT

DusterRT Registered Member

Here's a rough, rough MS paint drawing of what I had in mind for the front end of my truck. I'd like to use bushings where the axle connects to the (I guess you'd call it a) radius arm, but I would probably have to use a rod end where the arm connects to the frame (I've heard they don't last an awfully long time, is this true?). I've also thought about using like a tie rod end at that point to make it greaseable and such. I didn't figure using a regular bushing at that point would allow enough flex for respectable articulation. Actual measurements and such are up in the air but I figure the assembly would be fairly long (the Ford crowd seems to get good results from lengthening their radius arms). <br><br> [​IMG] <br><br> Thanks for the input guys,

Travis

2. DusterRT

DusterRT Registered Member

3. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: Pic Link, Re: ROUGH Sketch, Front End 1.0

I still can't see your pic but I think I somewhat understand what your saying. As far as rod ends not lasting, your correct, they don't. I have seen some pretty decent flex out of regular rubber bushings. I'm doing my 4 link on the rear of my truck in a few weeks here and I am using urethane bushed rod ends. Avalanche sells them as "boulder bushings". There like a rod end but they are urethane. Heres a pic:

[​IMG]

4. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

If I understand it correcly your trying to go to the same style the OLD ford fullsize and broncos had with radius arms and coil springs. Im actually gonna do this to my 84 K5. What I plan on is custom raduis arms because the ford are kinda short and using heim joints at the end. if heim joints is outta the question then id stick to some kind of bushing set up. TREs we not engineered to do that type of work. the mainly work in one plane of motion. I want to run coilovers too ( saw it in ur profile ) the best deal i found that will do what I want is a set of Swayaway 18" travel 2.5 coilovers. www.bajaconcepts.com has em for 300 apeice with out springs which is been the best price i could find. If and when you get it done post some pics so we can see!!

5. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I thought about The coil setup and decided to use a leaf spring system from my crashed 72 blazer.The 79 era 3/4 & 1 ton Fords use leaf springs and the pad width is right.Most of these are high pinions.This helps driveshaft angles.Probably get more flex with coils,but,my tires are still on ground when a lot of the Jeeps I wheel with have one a foot or more in the air.Sometimes simpler works as well or better. 88 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif on 38 swampers,Gets wheeled hard!!!