Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rounded bolts!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by funkycold, Nov 4, 2004.

1. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

I am in the process of replaceing my transmission and flexplate on my suburban. After I took the tranmission out and tried to remove the bolts on the flexplate, there is one that the head has rounded on. Has anyone tried any of these to remove a rounded bolt?
    [​IMG]

Are there any other special tools that will work as well? I also tried using a metric socket that fit tighter but that did not do it either.

2. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Weld a nt to it an then give it a turn. That is how I got my t-case fill plug out. /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

For future reference those are 14 or 15mm not 5/8. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Don't ask me how I know.

I hear a MAPP gas torch and a good 6 point socket will get them out though. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

the ones that did come out were 9/16" and I am going to replace them with ARP bolts instead.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    the ones that did come out were 9/16" and I am going to replace them with ARP bolts instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually they're not...they're 7/16-20 with metric heads....i know, it's gay, but that's what they are.

I replaced mine with american bolts as well....

6. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

ooops...I meant i used a 9/16 socket.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. afflictedpast

afflictedpast Newbie

I bought a set of those when i rounded a nut off on a exhaust mani, it was stuck and rusted even with PB blaster. one turn with those and it came right off.

8. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

use some vise grips /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I have used the gatorgrip on stuff before...its actually a pretty handy deal for about $10. Very nice for a truck tool box since it replaces all sockets metric and standard under 3/4", and then also works on damanged bolt heads.

It saved me one time when I lost a u-joint on the rear driveshaft and the driveshaft ears bound on the rear diff yoke damaging the heads of the bolts.

10. brokecuzwheelin

brokecuzwheelin Newbie

Those twist sockets work very well. I use them all the time and rarely if ever had them fail.

11. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I once had to dremel the heads to a smaller size and hammer a socket onto the head of the bolt, who cares if I ruined the socket, the bolt came out sockets are cheap.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    ooops...I meant i used a 9/16 socket.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why you rounded them off. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Don't feel bad, I did the same thing.

13. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I once had to dremel the heads to a smaller size and hammer a socket onto the head of the bolt, who cares if I ruined the socket, the bolt came out sockets are cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]forgot to say if you do this use a 6pt. socket /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

14. 90v1500

90v1500 Registered Member

I used a set like that I got at Napa when I broke off the thermostat housing bolts and it worked real well. That was after try other types of bolt/stud removers that didn't work... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif