Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Router/Game Trouble

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by daleearnhardt01, Apr 5, 2004.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Hey fellow computer gurus I need some help with something that I cant figure out myself...I want to play Insane with all my buddies here at school but since I have a router here in my room it wont let me while Im connected to that. What can I do to let the router let me connect to the games outside my own little network?

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Put your computer in the router's DMZ. Each router is different in how you do this. A lot of them just let you connect to them using a certain IP address, then a configuration menu will pop up. Find your computer's IP by going to Start/Run and type "cmd" then in the DOS box type "ipconfig"

3. daleearnhardt01

Hmmm let me try this....

4. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Did it work?

5. daleearnhardt01

Haha I dunno the guy that I needed to host went to bed and the other guy that tried to host, he couldnt get his game to work. It doesnt matter now anyways, I called the tech people and told them one of my wall ports was messed up...they turned it on over the phone...So now I have a deticated game port /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Im still gonna try with the router just to try it. Thanks for the help man.

6. daleearnhardt01

Alright man got another question for you...I got my router working like you said but heres the deal. My two buddies have a router in their apt. They say only 1 of them can play Insane with us at a time. Whats the problem or is that the way it has to work?

7. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

First of all, don't put your computer in the DMZ or you are opening yourself up to everything. Just find out the ports that the game uses and use port forwarding on your router for those ports (or range of ports).

As for your buddies, unless they both can be assigned external IPs I don't think they will be able to both play at the same time.

Have fun!

8. daleearnhardt01

Do you have any idea how I find out the ports?

Thanks man

9. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I was only suggesting to put the computer in the DMZ for the amout of time it takes to play the game. If you have good anti-virus and spyware programs, you should be pretty safe for that short period of time, especially if you do a good system check right after. The odds of being hit by an attacker are extremely slim during that half hour to hour, unless you do it at about the same time each day for several weeks.