Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Routing my exhaust 2 into 1 then outside the frame rail - anyone else?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BorregoK5, May 27, 2003.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I just finished making a new 2 into 1 y-pipe for my manifolds so I can run a single 2 1/2" pipe outside the frame right between the front shackle and the tranny crossmember. Going to run a single muffler under the passenger side and route it out just before the rear tire. I was going to run a full thorley tri-y with their 2 into 1 system for big torque but blowing a muffler off yesterday caused me to step up and make changes right away. I'm only half done but already I have all the room I needed for a 4-link in the rear! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Anyone else running 2 into one with no cat, or outside the frame?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I experimented with a muffler and pipe outside of the frame a couple of years ago. It was a tight fit, loud as hell and I worried about it getting smashed off road.

With the diesel I run a single and came outside the frame with it right near the bumpstop bracket in the rear. From there it follows the outside of the frame real close to the floor with the tail pipe aimed slightly down and out at a 45 degree angle.

It's nowhere near the springs and even at full stuff there is still a ton of clearance around it. It also still exits behind my rear tire...

Rene

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

All routed / installed and what a difference. It went from a loud popping rumble to a mild toned growl and more bottom end than before ( y-pipe and scavenging effect). I'm using about half as much pedal around town as before and running a little cooler - guess I had a lack of backpressure with the true duals? You can definately tell its pushing more air through the single muffler and it has a bit less power at high rpm but thats ok, I use that a lot less than the lower rpms. Looking from the t-case to the axle between the frame rails and wow, what a wide open space... just a driveline now. Guess I should fill it up with links!

4. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Where did you end up having the end of it dump out? Would love to see some pics when you get a chance.

5. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Would love to see some pics when you get a chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pic's would be great!

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I was going to do that at one time by switching to rams horns. But then I built the subframe and body, which made it pretty much impossible to keep the exhaust safe out there. So, I run a stock cross over and single 3" down the driver's side. Still trying to come up with something better...

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I filmed a sound bite for my archives of the 2 into 1 exhaust note - its really small and short but has a still of the exhaust. I like the sound - but the 2 into 1 should have collected into 3" pipe through the muffler and out but I reused my old pipes to mock this up and see if I like it. I'll correct that when my flowmaster arrives- might run the quieter 70 series on it though. I'm fab'n up a plate to guard the area the pipe crosses under the frame. Its a rather easy area because its so close to the crossmember. This is an area that having a tube chassis would make easier - exhaust routing without interference.

http://www.echobit.com/video/2into1exhaust.wmv