Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

RPM'S OF 350

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by K5RANGER, Mar 11, 2001.

1. K5RANGER

K5RANGER Registered Member

RPM\'S OF 350

I RECENTLY PURCHASED A 78 BLAZER W/ A 350. I WAS TOLD IT HAD A R/V TOWING CAM BUT NO DETAILS. QUESTION!!!!!!!!......WHAT RPM RANGE SHOULD I RUN THE MOTOR MOST EFFICIENTLY. I HAVE DECIDED TO GO WITH 4.10 GEARS IN THE CORP. 10-12. WHEN TRAVELING THIS SUMMER TO THE LAKE FOR VACATION (ABOUT 2.5 HOURS HIGHWAY MILES) WOULD I BE BETTER OFF RUNNING MY 33" TIRES OR MY 35" TIRES? THE 4X4 STORES IN MY AREA SEEM MORE INTERESTED IN JEEPS THAN ANYTHING ELSE SO I'M NOT TO SURE ABOUT THEIR REPONSES TO MY QUESTIONS...............WHY DO I EVEN BOTHER??????

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Re: RPM\'S OF 350

I'd go with the 35's myself, sell the 33's. :-0

Really, the 35's will drop your rpm's a little, but the 33's will give less wind resistance by a little. Best efficiency will probably be with the 33's, since wind resistance is HUGE on these trucks. But really, you may not be able to notice much change. Lets face it, even a 10% loss in milage is only about 1 mpg, which can get lost in the "clutter" of stops and starts, idle time, warm ups, etc.
    Run what you like.
    As for the gears, you're doing well, 4.10's and 35's is a good combo. If you go to a TH700 you may want 4.56's though.....

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD