Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

RRRRR....I believe I fried my clutch

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77K5Blazer, Sep 17, 2001.

1. 77K5Blazer

77K5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I can't believe, I am certain that I fried my clutch! I did a burnout last friday, and now every time I put the clutch in, no matter in gear or not, it makes a grinding metal on metal sound like I have no clutch fiber discs left! It was pretty harsh, I let the clutch out at about 4,000 rpm...So I am dropping the tranny on wednesday...any suggestions on the best process of doing that? I am going to replace the clutch plates and throw-out bearing, any suggestions on brands to use? How much should this cost me, and how involved is it? I really need help on this cause I want my blazer back! TIA!

<font color=red>1977 Blazer, GM350, SM465, NP205, Dana 44/ 12bolt, 33x9.50r15 BFGs Muds</font color=red>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.77k5.alloffroad.com>www.77k5.alloffroad.com</a>

2. 77K5Blazer

Ok...guys I really need help with this....please?

<font color=red>1977 Blazer, GM350, SM465, NP205, Dana 44/ 12bolt, 33x9.50r15 BFGs Muds</font color=red>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.77k5.alloffroad.com>www.77k5.alloffroad.com</a>

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The only thing I can think is the disc itself is damaged. As for whats involved, you'll need to pull the tranny and T-case to get to the clutch.
    I dropped my tranny and T-case as one unit, I have the 205 behind my SM 465 and found a good balance point was under the crossmember. Get a friend to help, rent a proper tranny jack if you can.
    To make your life easier remove the tranny tunnel and remove the shifter assemblies, at least then you can get the tranny and T-case oput from under the truck. There is a collar at the base of the shifter, use some pliers and push down on the collar and twist it about a quarter turn. The shifter will then come right out. If you have a NP 203 someone else will have to advise you on the shifter linkage. If you have the 205 the shifter is held by one bolt into the side of the adaptor, also easily reached from above with the tranny tunnel unbolted.
    If you have access to an engine hoist its prolly gonna be easier to position the hoist above the tranny and T-case and lower it through the tunnel, make sure you leave enough chain so the tranny and t-case hit the ground before the hoist hits the floor inside your truck.

I unbolted my tranny from the bellhousing (4 bolts) and pulled back untill the input shaft cleared the bell housing. When the tranny and T-case are out then I removed the bellhousing.

Clutch is pretty straightforward, unbolt the pressure plate bolts and remove the old stuff. Remove the flywheel and send it out for re-surfacing and bolt it back up...make sure to torque the bolts to spec. I added some loc-tite to the bolts just for added insurance. The new clutch and pressure plate should come with a dummy shaft to align the clutch disc.
    I found the tricky part was lining up the tranny through the clutch disc and trying to keep the throwout bearing in the right place on the fork at the same time. An extra set of hands really helps for this job!

Good luck!

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

4. 77K5Blazer

HUH!? I think I got that, not sure tho! I am doing this in my high school auto shop, with an ASE certified teacher to help me if needed, that sounds like a lot of work! I am putting it on a hoist, then using the tranny jack! I think that I will prolly unbolt the t-case, drop it out, then drop the tranny out...the linkages are what's worrying me, as to the whole tunnel thing, you mean actually pulling my carpet out and unbolting the tunnel that is the floor in the interior? I also need to reseal at the tranny-tcase, is that just regular RTV? And...last but not least, do I need to re-surface my fly-wheel, or is that just something that is good to do while I am in there? I really appreciate your help Rene...hopefully this will make the whole process smoother! Thanks again!

5. tRustyK5

Hey it made sense to me when I wrote it...[​IMG]
    Yes it is a lot of work. If you are going to have it on a hoist then you can skip the tranny tunnel removal part. You'll have lots of room.
    The flywheel should be resurfaced...with a new clutch I'd say irs near mandatory unless you like replacing clutches...[​IMG] It is inexpensive to have them resurfaced, I think i paid $20 to have mine done.
    Both your linkages are bolted or atached directly to the tranny and the T-case shifter is attached to the T-case adaptor...they will not be a problem for you at all. All you're gonna have to do is remove the shifter knobs and the shifter boots.
    RTV should work OK between the T-case and the adaptor..

Rene

PS I assumed you were doing this at home in your garage...hoists and tranny jacks take the adventure out of the job...[​IMG]

6. coloradoblazers

coloradoblazers 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just finishing up a new clutch job as we speak. Took me a weekend to figure out how to destroy(dismantle) everything, but only about 5 to get it back togeather. I disconected everthing..driveshafts(installed HD u-joints) the t-case. Rene, fyi the np 203 all you have to do is drain it, remove the cotter pin holing the shift linkage and disconnect the speedometer and 4wd indicatior connections and down it comes. Incredably simple. Then the tranny(stock 4 spd manual) came down, disconnected shifter etc and replaced the clutch. Used a Borg BEck replacement. This was all done in my drveway, which is in the mountains and not paved/coverd. I am not a certified mechanic, nor is my dad, but we've got it all back togeather now, just have to do a few minor things before we fire it up. As for the t case tranny seal, I bought a oem replacement from a dealer. $20, then used some sealent to seal it all up. I bought a 3 ton 18" lift floor jack which helped the process greatly. Hope that helps a little.

K5- because size DOES matter!
    Fear This

7. tRustyK5

I did mine by my lonesome in my carport over a weekend. I'm still somewhat surprised I never dropped it off the jack, lord knows it came close a few times while trying to get it lined up.
    I welded up my T-case adaptor and did a rear main seal while i was at it. The rear main seal was what wiped out my clutch...[​IMG]

Rene

8. 77K5Blazer

Well...the T-case and tranny are out! Tomorrow I will hopefully get the old clutch out, and take my flywheel to get resurfaced. My new Centerforce Stage II clutch is supposed to be in tomorrow morning! I am excited to put it back together! I had to hack my crossover pipe on the exhaust with a saw-z-all, but that's just a good excuse to get Flowmaster triple chambers on there next week! Thanks for everyones help...I really appreciate it, will let y'all know how it goes! Thanks also Rene, you really helped me on this one...I owe ya! Come on down to Oregon and we can wheel!

9. tRustyK5

No problem...big job isn't it? Now try and imagine doing it yourself with crappy tools in a carport in the winter...[​IMG]

Rene

10. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I hear ya on that one trusty....I did it myself alone in my driveway...I actually made it all the way to the throwout bearing without any tranny jack or anything...with a big 6 ton jack and a 1inch peice of plywood with a bunch of two by fours.....after dropping the t-case on my elbow trying to hold it up --and set all of what feels like 100+pounds laying under the truck-- into place i decided it was wise to buy a tranny jack....never dropped the tranny but the t-case fell a couple times...I luckly could unbolt my crossover pipe from the headers but i am running single pipe off the headers...oh yeah alot of the tiem i was using a seatbelt i got loose from a junker toyota to hold things up

What? You think the hole is too deep? Lemme see...
    1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by BowtieBlazer on 09/20/01 10:48 PM.</FONT></P>