Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

RS9000 shock installation problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by djohnsn, May 19, 2000.

1. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

I am installing Rancho RS9001 shocks on the front of my 78 Blazer along with 2" Tuff Country EZ-Ride springs and ORD HD greasable shackles (10 bolt front diff). Problem - the shocks don't fit. The body of the shock (not the adjustment knob) hits the upper edge of the lower shock mount. It looks like I would have to grind away almost 1/2" of the shock mount for a proper fit. I contacted both Rancho and ORD and neither had any other suggestions. Has anyone else run into this problem? How much clearance do I need between the shock body and the lower shock mount? Ideas?

2. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Flip the shock. I am not sure if this is the way they were intended to work but you could try it. They may leak all the fluid out. I think I have seen rockcrawling rigs with the shock inverted.

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

3. ED70K5

ED70K5 1/2 ton status

Everytime I see shocks installed upside down in magazines, they are usually the RS9000s............wonder why?

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

The Edelbrock IAS I have MUST be installed upside down because of the sensor valve. Maybe the RS9000s have a similar valve.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

5. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

O.k here is the solution, mount them upside down, with the knobs up top. That way they fit, the knob is protectd and easy to access, if you decide to install the remote kit (I have RS9000's all the way around mine and am installing the kit right now, they are all upside down!) It makes it much easier and you dont have to leave any excess hose for the shock droop, not to mention to leave out to get snagged and ripped off.

I called and talked to the tech rep. at RANCHO and the shocks work perfect upside down, they will not leak and the only adverse affect it may have is that the first rebound or 2 after a long rest may be at 1 level weaker than the knob shows due to a little air in the shocks, after the first rebound or 2 everything is norman. I have never noticed this in mine though.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>