Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

RS9000's: How soft/stiff can they get?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BorregoK5, Jul 3, 2002.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

RS9000\'s: How soft/stiff can they get?

I'm debating on getting a set of RS9000's for the back end of my blazer. At the softest setting would you say it was a Caddillac on the washboards or more like an import at lets say 15 and 30 mph? I'm not sure I'll have any use for the stiffest setting other than slow crawling but the adjustability on the softer side is what I'm after.. What about Doechtecks or that new MX6 adjustable from procomp... any opinions on how soft they can get?

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Re: RS9000\'s: How soft/stiff can they get?

I don't have the 9012's on the back yet but on the front I set them on 1 and it was a little to soft for the street so I have them on 3 now which is good.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'd recommend looking at the Bilstein 7100s. They're a bit more expensive (about $170 each), but totally rebuidable and you can custom valve them so they're very versatile. Also available in up to 14" travel versions. They should be the last shocks you ever buy... </font color>

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'm looking at a set of coil over 9100 bilsteins for the front, maybe the Fox cause they are just so reasonably priced. With a soft set of bilsteins on the back like I'd like, I may have to make a disconnectable swaybar on the back as well to keep in from leaning too much with the 57" springs, the rs9000's could just be cranked up to stiff and would slow a lean down dramaticly. The wife is having a hard time getting used to the characteristics of the big tires and higher center of gravity with the soft rear suspension... I'm still analyzing my options here but the bilsteins are definately a hot ticket which I keep trying to talk myslef out of for some reason! You cant beat the rebuildability of that type of shock, thats for sure but if I get them, I'm going to want the 9100 externally adjustable for the configurability on the truck.

PS have you seen the 9100 series rock crawler bilsteins? http://www.bilstein.com/products/crawler.html

5. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I have a set of RC9012s for a 4" lift. With the compressor, line, and dual gauges for sale.

I was always messing with the adjustments for the highway, and the street.

5 is REALLY REALLY STIFF. TOO stiff for almost everything.
    1 is REALLY REALLY SOFT. Too soft for heavy axles, and big tires.

I finally, got some ES9000s ( I think). These are the Rought Country's EZ-ride self-adjusting Nitrogen shocks. There are a little stiff for the street. But good on the highway. I changed to some older ES3000s in the front becuase of the length of my front shock mounts. These are much better. Still running the nitrogen ones in the back.

Let me know if you want the Rancho's. I am thinking of $125 for all 4 shocks with the Remote control compressor and gauges.

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Well, I went out shopping and found a fairly good deal on a set of Fox coil overs for the front and priced out the fox and bilsteins for the back with 14 and 18 inches of travel. I'm going to use my normal 24hr cooling off period but will most likely end up buying them. Thanks for the offer on the shocks, definately a good deal for all that!