Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

RTCC 04 coverage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tRustyK5, Feb 28, 2005.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Just read the coverage in the new Four Wheeler magazine. It didn't appear that Tim did badly in anything, saw a couple of decent pics anyways...looks like it was a lot of fun! :)

Rene

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

it was in the mag last month, March issue (i have the april already) fourwheeler TV is playing parts of the video, part 1 last wed night and part 2 is this wed night at 11 pm

3. tRustyK5

My mistake, I just snagged this copy off the newstand on impulse. I don't normally bother...

Rene

4. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I Also think he did not do too bad for his first time out.I bet he had a great time out there!!!

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i think if he had a better winch, didn't have the front driveshaft carnage, he would have done alot better than he did.

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i concur... thanks to Jesse from the Badlands fab shop we go the driveshaft "fixed" in order to finish the next day. the winch was pretty much a lost cause. the rock course... well, that's a whole different story... bonehead officials.

7. tRustyK5

Do tell...

Rene

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'll tell. Jesse that works at the Badlands Custom Machine Shop is a personal friend of mine, past TTC compeditor, professional rock crawler, and that day, was my good samaritan that donated his time, the shop he works in, and his sleep (and pissed off his girlfriend) to fix my driveshaft. Having donated so much time and effort to help, he wanted to spot me for the rocks. I talked to the officials and they said he couldn't, because he wasn't a member of my crew. I went to the people of Fourwheeler, asked if it was ok that he join my crew, he did, recieved a T shirt, etc., and the guy running the whole thing disqualified me after 5 minutes because he said my spotter wasn't on my team. :(

We were first up, and despite the hack job driveshaft we were doing GREAT.

Later on in the rock course, the tree that held me and all the first compeditors up got knocked down. After that, everyone had to leave the course and take penalties in order to complete the course, but instead of DNF's, they just got time penalties.

The entire rock course was unfair, but at that point, after my performance in the mud pit (breakage and DNF) and slow performance in the obstacle course (nursing a VERY sick truck with a driveshaft with no CV center, just u joints and flopping around) I didn't care.

Either way I'm happy with my performance. Had my water pump bearings not failed and I'd been able to steer, I would have probably done better in the hillclimb (did ok anyway, but could have done better). The mud pit, hell, if I'd made it to the place I stopped and DNF'd and NOT broke, that would have been fine with me. I could have smoked the obstacle course, rocks, and saved about 3 minutes not taking the winch cable on the rock face of the buzzard's roost, and I personally believe I could have definitely got into the top 10...or even nudged the top 5 positions.

Hindsight is 20/20, and 2nd place is the first loser, but either way, coming in as an alternate, being somewhat unprepared for the event until 3 days before it started, and having never seriously competed before, I think I did well, and I'd gladly do it again.

Next time I really need to relax though. Damn was I nervous the whole weekend, it really cut into my driving until the 2nd day, when I finally relaxed and everything went REALLY well if you ask me. The driveshaft really cut my spirits, I have to admit.

9. tRustyK5

That is total crap IMO...

Rene

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I thought the same, but I didn't let it bother me and went on to score a good finish in the Buzzard's Roost. I didn't let it bother me, but it did potentially cost me a few places in the competition.

The tree that was knocked down, allowing compeditors to leave the course, played a much bigger part than the fact that I only got 1/2 my time.

11. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Hell, I say if you had a fun time there, then you won... When I get my K5 done I will more than likely throw my name into the hat for a chance. Looks like a fun couple of days to me.

BTW, saw the second half of the event on the outdoor ch. yesterday morning. Now I have 1 & 2 on DVR. :cool1:

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I saw part 1 on the Outdoor channel last week and will catch the 2nd half tommorrow night.