Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rtv on 6.2 intake?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Robert79K5, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

First of all sorry about posting a diesel question here. Ill buy a membership here really soon so I can post in the diesel board.

I got my hummer intake manifold yesterday and would like to know if theres any reason why I cant install it with some rtv in lieu of the gasket?

I can't think of any reason that I absolutely have to have a gasket on it since the engine dosn't even need the intake manifold to run but I would hate to install it with rtv and find out that it was essential for whatever reason.

Thanks in advance.

Robert

2. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

sorry for asking, but what is the difference in a hummer intake??

3. Robert79K5

I put a 6.2 diesel out of a half ton truck in my Blazer. The 6.2s that came in half tons had a big ole EGR valve sitting right smack in the middle of the intake manifold blocking the airflow. Even if you remove the EGR valve theres still a big chunk of metal in the middle of your intake. The Hummer manifold is wide arse open allowing the diesel to breathe better and thusly haul my heavy pig of a blazer around better.

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Just go get the intake gaskets, they are fairly cheap. An no need to use RTV on the gaskets. You might ever be able to get away and reuse your original gaskets.

5. Robert79K5

Im not really worried about the price Iv had to buy them before, and I couldn't bring myself to reuse the old ones.

Its really a matter of laziness and curiosity. Once I get this manifold on there I don't plan to remove it for a long time. I really am a proponent of using the correct gaskets for everything but I would like to know that I could rtv that sucka if I wanted to.:D

btw I used to be a detroit diesel mechanic, we just always worked on the big stuff and never 6.2/6.5s
    When I saw the Detroit Diesel logo cast into the hummer intake I was like aww yeah! I didn't know that they advertised their Detroit Diesel roots on these engines.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Theoretically it should work, but the gaskets do have some thickness to them so the intake might not be able to suck down tight before the bolts jam due to misalignment.

IIRC those gaskets are easily 60-80 thou thick.

Rene

7. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I speak from personal experience.... bad idea. water ports is where you will get kicked in the ass when you reuse gaskest even with rtv. It may not leak enough to notice it after a couple drives but if the leak is slow you won't know it until you spin a bearing unless you check it every time you run it. only 12 bucks and they will give you piece of mind.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There are no water ports through the 6.2 intake...just a FYI. It will run just as well without an intake at all, but that makes it pretty hard to filter the air (and it looks funny that way). :)

Rene

9. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

use gaskets

I work on hummers for a living and you do want to use the gaskets. If you lay the intake on the engine with no gaskets or anything you will notice that the gaps are not the same all the way around. The gaskets space the intake away from the heads just enough to center the valley tray and seal properly where rtv will not be firm enough to allow the intake to center properly.

10. Robert79K5

Now thats the kind of verification I was lookin for. Thats what I love about this site, no matter what your question is there will eventually be someone here who has real world knowledge to help you out.

Thanks mang:grin:

11. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

My buddy who is a light truck mechanic in the army said use gaskets for the same reason Rene said....

Of course If I had red JEBSR's post I wouldnt have posted myself... :grin: :grin: :grin: