Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rubber around teh windshield...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Sep 30, 2003.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I need to do some paint work on my Jimmy (finally). Last time it was painted, they obviously taped around the windshield rubber. The paint there has really started to flake off now. I would like to remove the rubber from the outside of the windshield so I can sand it down, prime and paint, then put either the old rubber back or new rubber.

Is that possible very easily without damaging the windshield? Is it something I can do, or does it require special tools? Is it possible to reuse thte rubber once it has been removed? Or would I be best to just replace it (it is in good shape)?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If the windshield has ANY stars or small cracks, there's about a 99% chance that the crack will run when you try to remove the windshield. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Taking it out isn't too hard, but reinstalling it can be a little trickier. You might want to check with a glass shop and see what they would charge to install and seal it for you. If the truck is pretty old, I'd even ask about the cost of a new seal. They aren't terribly expensive.

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It can be done with minimal everyday tools. The windshield gasket is probably "stuck" in place with some adhesive. They make pnuematic cutters for cutting through it, but a razor knife will work. Usually adhesive is placed around the windshield frame, the big outer gasket is placed in, the windshield is then set in the gasket, and the center locking "rib" is pushed in to secure/clamp it in place. To remove, you pull the center lock strip out, with the help of a friend push the glass out, then remove the gasket. It would probably be a good idea to replace the gasket and lock trim if it's original. Also sealing the windshield can be tricky trying to get the right amount of adhesive in the right spots without having it ooze out where you don't want to. Sometimes it's easier to have someone else do it, if they don't want to bend you over for it $$$$. If your windshield is old and scratched and it has a slight haze when you drive into sunlight, you can call your insurance company and they will replace it free of charge. You could remove the old one, do the work you need to do to fix the paint, then drive it to the shop to have the new one put in, or some places will even come to you (mobile truck).

4. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If your windshield is old and scratched and it has a slight haze when you drive into sunlight, you can call your insurance company and they will replace it free of charge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who do you use for insurance? I've never heard of such a thing /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Side windows are done like the front, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to pull the front windshield without breaking it. I'm sure it can be done, although I'd want someone around to help support it.

I'd certainly not cut the front seal, I think they are about $100, and they rarely, if ever, fail. (cracks, etc)

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

From what I hear, cutting the rubber is the only way to go when removing a windshield.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That's for the glued-in windshields, like they use on the newer trucks. A black adhesive goop is the only thing that holds the windshield in place on our '94 Suburban. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif But on the earlier trucks you can work the rubber loose from the frame.

Check around for prices on the rubber. Toby (moneypit) just got a new gasket for his truck for $30 or $40. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. dyeager535

Yep. Old GM vehicles (like ours) use butyl rubber to seal the gasket to the window frame, and the gasket seals the window. (which is why the gasket is both inside and outside the truck)

Windshield place told me when they came out and put mine in, that they are no longer allowed by law to use butyl rubber, it doesn't "hold" the windshield good enough.

Pull the little strip from in front of the gasket, and you should be able to get the windshield pulled free. Have to do the exact same thing in reverse to put it back in, so why cutting the gasket is necessary is beyond me. Who here cuts the gaskets for the side windows when they pull them??.

9. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

If you are going to remove the windshield, why not go ahead and replace the rubber and seal?

LMC Truck has the parts you would need for a reasonable price.

Windshield rubber -- $39.95
    p/n# 38-5900 if you have chrome trim
    p/n# 38-5911 if no chrome trim

Trim-Kit
    p/n# 38-6032 for chrome -- $14.95
    p/n# 38-6033 for black -- $9.95

Thomas.

10. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    If you are going to remove the windshield, why not go ahead and replace the rubber and seal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because trusting aftermarkets gaskets to fit and last is pretty naive.

11. Stoopalini

Hmmm, ok, I guess I'm naive then /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

12. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Any insurance company in MA (my is CNA) will do it as a "safety concern" ASSuming you at least have comprehensive coverage. After almost 20 years my windshield was severely scratched on my 80, everytime sunlight or headlights hit it just right the windshield became almost impossible to see out of (just ALOT of VERY FINE scratches over the years). I took it in to have an estimate on replacement (was going to pay out of pocket), the glass place put a call into my insurance and the insurance picked it up. My cousin did this on his 84 K30 as well.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'd just be afraid to break the windshield if I removed it without cutting.

14. dyeager535

Think about it. Which parts last and fit best? GM, right? Do you disagree?

How many people on this board have complained about aftermarket gaskets fit, finish, and durability, vs. how many complain about GM parts fit and finish?

Maybe you've never dealt with this, but I and hundreds of thousands of others have, the hard way.

15. Stoopalini

Ya, I definitely agree with you on GM parts fitting best, but that hasn't kept me from trying aftermarket stuff. Especially for $60 ..... Heck, I spend that in gas going away for the weekend /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I dunno, I like to replace gaskets and seals and such with new when I do a job; but that's just me.

Thomas.

16. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Another thing to consider is that LMC offers a 180 day warranty on all their products. Not that you'd want to have to install a windshield more than once, but if you decided after you installed it that you werent satisfied, you could get OEM and then return the rubber. Not sure if you have to pay return shipping or not, but either way, you have peace of mind if you decide to nickel and dime.

I just ordered new seals for the cargo doors on the back of my /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif from LMC this week. I'll try and remember to post up on their quality when they get here.

Part # Description Qty Price Total Status
    38-6992 REAR CARGO DOOR WEATHERSTRP-LH 1 19.95 19.95 In Stock
    38-6993 REAR CARGO DOOR WEATHERSTRP-RH 1 19.95 19.95 In Stock
    38-6994 REAR CARGO DOOR UPPER SEAL 1 14.95 14.95 In Stock
    38-0792 BLACK WEATHERSTRIP ADHESIVE 1 5.95 5.95 In Stock

17. dyeager535

Problem with that is, if OEM is available, it's almost always the same price as LMC anyways.

18. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

When I called the local GM dealer, after checking all the parts houses in town, who told me that I would have to contact GM for getting door seals, I was FLABBERGASTED at the prices they wanted for door seals. Something like $50 EACH for the front doors and $75 for each of the rear doors! They knew that the cargo doors would also have seals, but couldnt seem to find them. Granted, I was calling on the phone vs. going there in person, but I quickly realized that I was NOT going to be getting rubber from a GM Dealership.

19. I had the windshield replaced on my 89 Sub, and the window leaked. They tried to fix the leak a few times and it didnt work. So I told them to bring a new gasket to fix it, they did and no more leak. I watched them change the windshield and all he did was slide this tool around the windshield and gasket and pushed the window out from the inside. I'm sure this new gasket is aftermarket, and so far so good. And BTW, my insurance doesnt pay for windshields, you have to pay the deductable, and that is USAA ins.

Mat

20. dyeager535

Dealer will rape you. You probably got quoted list. Check out gmpartsdirect.com

Unless you have a really nice dealer (I don't) locally, even with GMpartsdirect's S&H, they are much less than local.

Of all the gaskets I would *speculate* to be made correctly aftermarket, it would be the windshield one. Probably the single most common replaced gasket.

Still never had a used gasket leak that wasn't because of a rotten window frame, but oh well.