Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rubber brake hose acknowledgement

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by black'burb, Feb 17, 2006.

1. black'burb

black'burb 1/2 ton status

I recently took the advice of someone on one of the threads here about using early 90's K3500 brake hoses on a 91 Sub 2500. They were an exact replace and are approx. 4-5 inches longer than stock and a whole lot cheaper than braided. Sorry I don't remember who you are but thanx alot. I wouldn't have completed half my projects without CK5 and all the knowledgeable people on here.:D

napa #'s 38622(L) and 38623(R)

91 v2500 350/4l80e/241 14bsf/10b 33's
    01 Cherokee DD stocker(for now)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  2. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ck5 is one of the best sources of info out there! I'll join you... thanks CK5!

3. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

The point of upgrading to SS braided lines is to reduce the expansion under pressure, and in this case to add length. So change for the brake performance, not so much just plain reach. Drive a vehicle with them and you'll see/feel the diff.:D

4. black'burb

understand about the performance of ss lines, but for lo budget replace of 15 y/o lines that won't see total hardcore wheelin was the point.

5. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

So the newbs now know the trade-off:D

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

not nice

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

There is not that much of a difference, especially when comparing a new rubber hose in good shape. Sure, take a 15 year old rubber hose and I'm sure a new SS one is better. If SS was so much better than all of the manufacturers would be using them on new cars, but they are not.

I've had both on my Blazer and there was no noticable difference, and my front extended Napa rubber brake hoses have been going strong for probably 5-6 years now.

8. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

I tried

9. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

black burb, if you were reffering to
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157096

that was me and you are welcome.... I own and manage an auto repair shop, but when I need some suspension or off road related advise, here and pirate are the $h!t

gabe:D

10. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I tried getting those NAPA (38622-L and 38623-R) brake lines for my Dana-60, and they did not work. I guess those are only good for 10-bolts and the Dana-44. I eventually had to get a custom set of hoses made, using my old fittings. It cost me $75.

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

FYI - at least most 10-bolts and Dana 44's had different calipers from the factory......basically 10-bolts had a metric fitting where the brake line enters and D44's had a standard size. The standard GM D60's use the same lines as a standard 10-bolt, but these lines will not work with a D44.

12. Scrubby

Scrubby 1/2 ton status

13. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The NAPA brake lines (38622-L and 38623-R) do not fit the caliper side of a Dana-60. They have some stabilizing ears, and a tack welded bracket, which a Dana-60 does not use. These ears and brackets interfere with using these NAPA brake lines on a Dana-60. The only company I have found so far that specifically specifies in their catalogs extended brake lines for a Dana-60 is SkyJacker. One-tons seem to be the "red headed step child" of many parts suppliers for Chevy Gen-2 trucks. I rarely find any company that specifically specifies 1-tons in their parts catalogs because 4x4 1/2-tons and 3/4-tons are more commonly modified than 1-tons; which is why there is less knowledge, mis-information, and mystery, when it comes to modifying 1-tons.

14. black'burb

Georgia Gabe, thanx again for that info. I do alot of searching thru the old threads and don't post much because most of my questions are answered with info thats already been covered. But when I do post, its not to be an a*#.

15. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

black burb, That is exactly the reason that I posted those numbers, I had searched for them everywhere and found nothing. Im glad that some people got some use out of it.
    gabe