Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rubber fuel line???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hunterguy86, May 4, 2005.

1. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Is it ok to run a rubber line from the fuel pump (mechanical) to the carb? My metal line is cracked and needs to be replaced. - long story there. I have no time to bend a metal line due to college finals and I need to get my truck running so i can drive home on tuesday from school.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Should be fine as long as it doesn't touch and rub sources or heat sources. Since your name has 86 in it I imagine you have a mechanical pump on the side of the block.

Just get some fuel line (has to be rated for gasoline use) and some hose clamps.

Harley

3. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just make sure the rubber line is gas resistant!! Also make sure it won't touch and sharp or hot metal !!!!

4. hunterguy86

5. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

it will last for years. Make sure you get the fuel line with the cord running through it. Tell whoever sells it to you, that you want low pressure fuel line and not fuel injection line. The FI line is very pricey. And make sure you have the connections on there very good with hose clamps.

6. hunterguy86

Thanks for the quick responses. That helps out a lot. Ok back to studyin. Man finals suck.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

What ya can do is cut the bad part of metal line out , and use short piece of hose to connect the two , provided its not too close the fitting ends .

Mine is cut and put back together the same way ( had Edelbrock for 2 weeks and went back to Q-jet ) .

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Rubber fuel line lasts, but notice GM didn't use it in your intended application. :)

I'd run it without worry for awhile, but when you get a chance, I'd replace it with steel.

9. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I agree with dyeager535. It works okay for a while, but I wouldn't use it for a permanent fix.

You could probably get a line from the salvage yard, or LMC might carry them new.

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

This fix sounds best if you have the time.... Plus you'll only need a very small amount of rubber line..

11. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Rubber will last a few years. But it is prone to leaking after a while. It is however, very vibration resistant. ;)

12. hunterguy86

Thanks for all the help yall. I got er fixed and ready to go wheelin on sunday.
    I want to post the video from last weekend but I dont know how. anybody know how?

13. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Be sure that not only does it not touch the heat source, but route it so it's not all that close. I had to replace a rubber hose that was about 1/4" from my exhaust manifolds because it started leaking. Got to it, and it was brittle and cracked beyond belief. I ran a small rubber hose 2" or so into about 10" of hard line that goes by the heat sources then the last little but is rubber again. Sounds cheesy, but I hated the thought of brittle hoses by those damn hot exhaust manifolds. Sometime soon, I'm gonna bend me some hard line.

14. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Already mentioned but dont buy any fuel line unless its wire bound, regular rubber has a chance at collapsing due to pressure. My .02.

15. hunterguy86

I looked in LMC and they sell the metal line pre-bent for like 25 dollars or so. I could be wrong on the price, I looked a few hours ago. I'm gonna order that and put it on when I get home from school next week.

16. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Jcwhitney also sells a Stainless steel fuel line kit- gives you about 10 or 20 feet and all fittings.

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

OR you can...

Go to Autozone,buy a 3' peice of 3/8 brake/fuel line tubing with the ends already flared with the fittings for about 5 bucks,bend it like the old one using a pole or tree and put it on!~!..DONE!..

or do what I do,use 3/8 copper tubing and flare it yourself,using the original flare nuts--it never will rust again,and copper is much easier to bend,and a 10' roll at home depot is about 10-12 bucks!--I did my 74 K20 with copper all the way to the gas tank 10 years ago--its green now,but still in perfect shape--cant say the same for the rest of it--its crusher bound!.. :crazy: