Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

RUBBER O-RINGS??...HEAD GASKETS?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLUESMAN, May 27, 2002.

1. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    This weekends project was installing better heads,intake,carb,headers and dual exuast.The gasket set came with 16- little o-ring type gaskets that I had no idea what they were for.Well after putting everything back together, my heads are leaking coolant.Any one know what these are for.I used the Mr. Gasket cam gasket set with the thin steel shim type head gaskets.Anyone recommend anothet head gasket??Thanks!

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Duh! maybe valve guide seals! Did fall n hit yer head?

3. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

NOT!!!!!These are about the same size as o-rings for fuel bowl tubes in Holley carbs.Total of 16.....8 per head???

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Yeah 4 intake valves per head and 4 exhaust valves per head. 8 per head X 2.

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Was this on your 78 or 85 truck? Did you measure your quench before installing the copper gasket? Copper gaskets don't have as much give either when it comes to head replacement, so not only do you have to make sure the sufaces are perfectly clean of any imperfections but on the thin gaskets, the heads and deck must be milled to near perfection in order to seal without leaking. The 16 rubber o-rings do sound like valve seals, 2 valves a cyl times 8 cyl is 16 seals by the way. I checked on the Mr Gasket cam kit and didn't see any seals with it, or head gasket... I did find a valve kit with head gaskets from Mr. Gasket which would come with 16 valve seals... is this it?
    http://www.driverfx.com/products/productDetails.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=134009&FOLDER<>folder_id=729891&ASSORTMENT<>ast_id=212639&affID=2937&bmUID=1022545577546&tab=3

6. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

My bad, Wasn't there a parts list on or in the HS box they came in.

7. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

These are not valve stems seals.....they are about 1/4" in diameter.It's for my '78 but that should not matter.No copper gaskets...steel shim(.20").Looks like I'm replacing the head gaskets very soon.Thanks

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Hmm, I'm not saying that what you have are valve stem seals, just making sure because there are not too many seals with a set of 16 in them. My extra set here are 1/4" in diameter too. There are two different kinds of seals, I use both at the same time on my heads. One are the little 1/4" in diameter o-rings and the other are umbrella seals which are much larger and encompass the whole top of the guide. Good luck on your coolant leak, sounds like a head surface imperfection.

9. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Sorry, The gasket set is an "valve grind" set(#3953).I can not find out what they are for.What I am wondering is if the heads I installed were 305 heads.Any way to tell?It's funny because both heads are leaking coolant.Bad heads or bad gaskets??The damn truck runs strong though.

10. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Where is the coolant leeking from? You did put the lower head bolts in, right? Its a common oversight and can cause bad coolant leaks. Most 305 heads should run fine on it, but that copper gasket (shim) otherwise might be the source of your trauma.

11. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I installed the lower head bolts.It seems to be leaking from both bottom corners(frt. and rear).I have the steel gaskets.This is very frustrating....now I must tear it all open again and see what the problem lies.Shouls I buy another set of head gaskets(Fel-Pro blues?).Thanks Bud!

12. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You did not mention having any other left over gaskets but it sounds like they might be injector o-rings for a tuned port set-up ( 8 upper and 8 lower injector o-rings ). Some companies make a gasket set to cover all applications which would mean you will have some left over gaskets that you would not be using. Just my guess and $.02

13. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

That was my thought if it was his 85, but the 78's didn't have fuel injection if I remember right. I almost turned this into a muffler bearing seal post but figured the head leaking was still of concern! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

14. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

If its just barely dripping, then a set of felpro blues will most likely take up any surface imperfection. If its leaking bad, I'd inspect for burs, contaminants or warpage of the mating surface and take the steps to remedy from there. did you line up the gasket to both the block and the head before installation to make sure everything lined up? If so, then the above will most likely fix it. If not, you may have some other issue that the gasket can identify for you once its apart.

15. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Yes,I do believe they are for the fuel injection model.Oh well I just wondered what they were for.Thanks for all the help!Back to square 1!!!!!

16. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Did you put thread sealant on the head bolts? Some of them thread into coolant passages. If you don't put thread sealer on them, then coolant can seep past the threads. Just a thought, before taking the whole top end apart again. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

17. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

"valve grind" set(#3953)"

I am willing to bet when you grind valves you need new guide seals and that is what those are