Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rubber runflats?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by josh86k10, Oct 14, 2005.

1. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

Feb 13, 2005
    I recently acquired a set of 12 bolt H1 rims that I plan on recentering whenever I can find the time to break 'em down and send 'em off to USA 6x6. I'll be putting a set of 39.5 TSLs on them. My budget isn't really to fond of dropping $200 for a set of PVC inserts (but if I absolutely have to, I'll go broke and eat bologna and go ahead and pony up the cash). Will I have any problems running the rubber runflats? Can you cut down the rubber runflats like you can the mags? Are the rubber runflats enough of a pain in the butt to get into and out of tires that I should buy the PVC inserts anyways? I can get conveyor belt for next to nothing, should I take the time to make my own inserts (I think someone on here did this, but I can't seem to find it in my searches)? Those with experience please shed some light on this for me.
  2. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Feb 17, 2000
    I run the stock rubber runflats in my H1s, putting them in isn't hard, just use a ratchet strap to compress it into a banana shape and slip it into the tire. then kick (note i said kick) the ratchet strap open to release. the only problem i've found running them is that when i run real low pressure, 6-8 on a 38.5 Under my heavy truck i'll contact the runflat. sometimes this means the weight is on a 3" wide piece of the tire instead of the entire tread face. it hasn't created too many problems yet but i've definitely noticed the jolt in the driver seat when i smack a runflat. As for cutting them down. i suppose you could but for the hassle i'd just get pvc's next time i break them down i may swap, but i do still drive to and from the trail so teh runflat is a little bit of insurance for me.