Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rubber skirt deals on inside of engine bay? splash gaurds or something?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blue Goose, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Blue Goose

Blue Goose Registered Member

when I repainted my pickup I took them rubber deals off of the wheel tubs. They were in pretty rough shape so I just threw them away, stupid me, all I had to do was make a pattern and cut my own, but anyways. How much are they new?

the other day I went through about a foot of water at about 20 MPH and sprayed water all over underneath my hood. My pickup quite, and I had to sit there and wait a half hour for stuff to dry out, finally I just cranked it over and kept it a cranking and it finally started. Would not having them rubber skirts have anything to do with keeping water out and stuff like that?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes, they keep a ton of crap out of the engine bay, and off the top end of the engine especially.

Just FYI for folks out there: (and because I have one of each on the shelf)

CR (C right) is 14027794
    KL is 14027795

Playing around at gmpartsdirect.com, it looks like 14027796 is KR, and '93 would be CL. (same price, not differentiated R/L on GMPD) Don't take my word on those parts though, thats just an educated guess.

The stuff they are made out of appears to be "masticated rubber" but I've found material that looks like it will work in lieu of at an industrial supply place. I don't think masticated rubber is hard to find, but getting a template might be. :) A bit more flexible than the conveyor belt material I got for wheelwell splash shields.

If you have wrecking yards around, it's not too tough to find a good pair on various trucks, but getting the plastic clips out in one piece is.

3. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

If you choose to buy...

LMC has 'em for about 15.00 each.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Tubed...

Old radial inner tubes are much cheaper.....and work just as well.. :D --I use them to keep salt out of the engine compartment..if you dont,you wont HAVE an engine compartment for long around here!.. :( :crazy: