Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rubber spring bushings?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thumper, May 31, 2003.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Just curious how long a set last in some of your flexible rigs? I see that my rear eyes of the rear springs are shot after only 2 yrs, but since I put them in, the truck has been twisted up in every imagineable way at least once a month... is this a pretty normal time period before they are needing replacing?
    Thanks.
    Mike

2. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You probibly should replace them with some poly bushings since the stock rubber ones are not the best in the first place IMO /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, I hear the poly bushings limit suspension travel and flex because they wont give at all. I dont mind really changing them every two yrs if thats what it will take, as long as everyone elses dont last them 5 yrs! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mike

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Rubber is a much better bushing than poly. It lasts longer, withstands twist and flex better and doesn't squeak. Poly sucks.

I had a few links but I must have deleted them /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I'll see if I can dig up some interesting reading a little later.

Rene

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I ALWAYS use rubber bushings. (now). I had some poly bushings split on me and the spring flopped around. but I haven't "worn" out a set of rubber bushing (yet). I started using rubber bushing because they do allow more flex. I figured that it would flex better when the bushings got worn!

6. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

good point,just thought thay would last longer. But what if you have squiky polys and the rubber ones are stuck. Does anyone make greaseable rubber bushings. Not trying to hijack just getting info /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

So is there any place to get rubber bushings other than getting raped for em at the dealer?

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Haven't found any, but if someone has access to a Moog catalog, try looking there. They also make a "Sanaprene" bushing which is supposed to be "tougher", but probably actually just stiffer rubber.

9. tRustyK5

My buddy picked up new rubber bushings for his rear springs from a local suspension shop. They were less expensive than the poly bushings...

Maybe he'll see this post and chime in.

Rene

10. Waxer

Maybe Rene could contact him directly and forward him to this post /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

11. tRustyK5

Already did...but he is at work and won't get the pm til tonight some time. I won't get a chance to call him because I work nights...so you'll just have to be a little patient /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You could pm him yourself if you want. His user name here is BigDummy89K5.

Rene

12. Waxer

haha, no worries dude. My poly's are doing just fine at the moment. I was just giving you a little sh*t /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

13. tRustyK5

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif No prob...

Rene

14. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

not trying to hijack the post, but, if you're saying that it's better to have rubber bushings in the springs, does that mean front and rear springs? and what about the shackle bushings? should those be rubber also?

15. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

what the heck, then why does everyone tell me that Poly is better then rubber because poly lasts longer then rubber and takes more abuse, wtf? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

16. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    then why does everyone tell me that Poly is better then rubber because poly lasts longer then rubber and takes more abuse, wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

Poly is impervious to gas, oil solvents, you name it. So if the rubber gets oil on it, it will swell and eventually fail. (look at old tranny mounts)

However, a few on here have actually "broken" poly bushings, and my speculation is that the poly is too hard. Since poly *is* harder than rubber, when it is subjected to side loads (like a leaf sprung axle with one side up and one side down) it can't give like rubber, and is probably why it cracks for some people.

This problem isn't isolated to leaf springs, even 4 links exhibit binding, just not in a way that apparently breaks the bushings.

In other words, rubber gives and twists, poly doesn't. Which makes poly great for swaybar endlinks, engine and tranny mounts, and body mounts. All things that shouldn't move around anyway.

17. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    what the heck, then why does everyone tell me that Poly is better then rubber because poly lasts longer then rubber and takes more abuse, wtf? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Better is a relative term:
    What do you use your rig for?
    Is every ounce of flex your ultimate goal?
    Are you willing to sacrifice flex for longevity?

As Dorian stated poly is resistance to water, salt, oil, gas, etc and will last longer in those types of environment. Poly by nature is harder than rubber and will not twist as well.

My own personal opinion here [There are different "grades" of poly, and different manufacturers of poly, and different chemical compositions of poly, i.e. all poly is NOT created equal]. I had bad luck with some poly companies, but have had great luck with Energy Suspension (in locations where other poly bushings cracked/split/squeaked, I replaced with ES bushings and have not had problems.......this was in the spring eyes and shackles). I have two trucks, one has stock rubber mounts on 95% of it, the other has 100% poly (even down to the shock bushings). The truck that I have all poly on is a pulling truck. I don't want the flex that most on here do (although it does give and flex), and I didn't want to keep tearing rubber mounts (I kept trashing the stock motor mounts), so poly is what I chose for my application and have never looked back. If I was concerned with every ounce of flex and/or didn't mind changing the bushings from time to time, I would go with rubber.

Each has their pros and cons, it's up to you to decide what will work better for you.....

18. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Errr.... Ummm lots of discussion here but...
    Whats the final verdict? Is it outrageous that I should have to replace my rubber spring bushings after 2 yrs worth of flexxing and wheeling?
    Or is it to be expected every two years?

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Mike

19. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    Whats the final verdict? Is it outrageous that I should have to replace my rubber spring bushings after 2 yrs worth of flexxing and wheeling?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well my stock ones have almost 20 years on them, and obviously haven't been wheeled hard, but 1/10th of the life is pretty short lived.

Only two questions are: stock rubber bushings or aftermarket, and have they been doused in oil or something?