Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rubber tranny cooler lines..good idea?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Jul 13, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

mine are rusty and are starting to leak bad..have to add around a pint of ATF every few weeks..i was thinking to just taking the stock lines out and replacing it with all rubber..good idea?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

some one told me that you need the rubber that is rated for trannys, because of the posible pressure. you also could go to a junk yard and get some, i have some i would give you, but they are going on my latest project.(350 s10 /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif)

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well i got a small roll of this rubber line with my tranny cooler from summit..looks like regualar gas line or something

4. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It looks the same, but it is made of different rubber. It's made specifically to hold up to high temps, detergent atf, and pressure. Regular hose will eventually start to fall apart on the inside and send little bits of rubber through your tranny. I've also heard that regular gas hose will get soft and pop off if your tranny gets hot, not good! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

were could i get this kind of hose?

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

no it is not a good idea they leak and they rub against things and will wear a hole in them

7. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

hmmm, the only place I've seen it at was at a small parts shop near my house. I came in a bag, 3-4 feet of it. I haven't really looked for any though. It shouldn't be too hard to find.

The only thing about the rubber lines is that they need to be put inside some flexible plastic conduit or something to keep something from rubbing holes in the hoses. If you put it over the metal line you need as few inches of overlap and 2-3 hose clamps at each end. Or you can screw a barbed fitting into the tranny and cooler, which would be better.

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i dunno..maybe ill just put the lines fomr the blazer in..but they look like a pita to take out/put in..

9. redk5

redk5 Registered Member

I went through a hydraulics class at Universal Technical institute a couple of years ago, and regular rubber lines are no good. I installed a new transmission while living in phoenix and needed to install a better cooler due to the heat rockcrawling created in 115 degree weather, rather than messing with the stock lines, i decided to install hydraulic hoses. parts stores usually carry this kind of hose, I went with 500 psi rated, which is overkill, but i chose it because it is very hard to damage even when chaffing on say a frame or body panel. If you can't find a parts store that has it, you can call a heavy equipment supplier/or repair shop. Not cheap hose, however will last forever, I ran mine up to the cooler(running independently of the radiator, only do this if you are going to run a gauge), on the way to the cooler i installed a temp sender manifold, and installed a temp guage, this way I know what the fluid level is getting up to BEFORE IT IS COOLED, I found with my electric fan pulling air through the radiator and cooler(controlled by a switch), i am able to keep the trans temp 130-160, if i stand on the throttle in the mud, or on the rocks it may get up to 190, never over 200. I don't ever like to see a trans over 225. hope this helps.

10. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I just put new cool hoses on my rig. I got hose that is for transmission lines at NAPA. They had it behind the counter and I just told the guy how many feet I needed. I don't remember how much it was, but I don't think it was too expensive. Just make sure you tell them it is for transmission lines.My understanding is that the tranny fluid breaks down the regular stuff too quickly and it will rupture.

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

oh cool ill try napa then. i just got the lines out of my blazer (pita)..and was going to swap them in my truck today but now that you said that ill try that.. no sence in fooling with this if i can get rubber ones.

12. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

mark my words you will regret putting in all rubber lines it might not be soon but you will regret it

13. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I don't have a problem with the hose, as long as it's rated for tranny use. We just had this conversation lately looking at what a pain it was to put the hard lines on my K5 and came to the conclusion that future vehicles will get rubber line unless it's a nice straight shot to get the hard lines in. You definitely need to take care of the lines by making sure they're abrasion proofed where it's necessary, protected from extreme heat, etc. Go ahead and use a barb type connection at the cooler and the trans, or if you do clamp them over a tube, put a flare on it so it will hold the hose.
    I've used the wrong line (fuel line) before and it will heat up, get soft and blow off or split. The napa (gates) fabric wrapped hose has been working well for me for trans cooler lines and for power steering lines.

14. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

autozone sells it, 99 cents a foot.

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea i just got done swapping the hard lines from my blazer to my truck today...pain in the arse..but i couldnt even get to the top half of them up nere the tranny cause the headers were in the way..so i just cut of the bad section..and joined the new hardlines and the good ones coming from the tranny with some hose..untill i can get some of that other hose you guys are talking about from napa.