Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rubber under coating

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by The85k5, Nov 17, 2001.

1. The85k5

The85k5 1/2 ton status

whats up everyone, well i was tired of looking at my ugly brown wheel wells so i decided to paint them....i bought 2 cans of dupli color rubber truck bed coating from my work (pep boys) and degreased and sanded the inner fenders untill they were clean....then sprayed them once...waited for an hour and sprayed them again.....it looked awesome! no runs, or anything.....but that only lasted for about a day!....now its peeling off. think i should wait till it all comes off and primer it? or just grab a couple more cans and coat it a few more times? any certain brands u guys use or techniques?
    thanx
    RoBb

boy do 3:08's and 35's really SUCK

2. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

What did you degrease and sand it with? You should wash the area thoroughly with something like Dawn and then use Prep-Sol. It's a chemical body shops use before they paint a car. You wipe this stuff on in a small area and wipe it off, BEFORE IT DRIES. It will remove the remaining grease and residue. Then you should thoroughly scuff the area with a course Scotch-Brite pad until no smooth or shinny areas show. Then wash, dry and Prep-Sol again before applying paint. Also ... if you apply the paint too thick or in too many layers it will peel and flake as you described. Look out for cheap paint too. This isn't where you'll want to cut corners.

<font color=black> -Tommy
    <font color=red>"To secure peace is to prepare for war..."

3. The85k5

The85k5 1/2 ton status

well i used castrol superclean 1st and that got all the grease off then went over it wil some 60 grit sand paper...just to get some ruffness to it but still didnt stick....

boy do 3:08's and 35's really SUCK

4. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

60 grit may actually be too course unless you are using a DA (dual action sander). The Prepping chemical is a really important step though. Especially in areas where grime and grease can work its way into the grain of the metal.

<font color=black> -Tommy
    <font color=red>"To secure peace is to prepare for war..."

5. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I haven't heard to much good about duplicolor. I'd go with Herculiner next round.

"I ain't nobody, dork."
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

6. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

Herculiner sounds nice, but what is the price difference between the Herculiner and the Duplicolor? I would like to find a good, cheap alternative too! Let me know what you decide to do on the second attempt and how it worked out.

Bo

If it breaks, it wasn't good enough!
    http://coloradok5.com/gallery/liberator

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

You can get Herculiner for $50 and then some places have a $20 rebate so they come out to $30.... I used the Duplicolor stuff on my top. So far it's ok..... I say if you are sick of the ugly brown clean out everything really well as mentioned and POR 15 it. You can get it in black and it looks good. I am going to venture that way when I can get some extra funds.... [​IMG]

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I keep trying to lose weight, but it always finds me!

8. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

I used the Westley's rubberized undercoating and it works like a charm. It's a bout $3 a can and a whole can can do 2-4 wheelwells. It's cheap, works great and sticks.

<font color=red>Spirit of 76</font color=red>

9. ChevyCaGal

Well the reason I say POR 15 it is because if you are going to all the trouble to prime it up to use the rubberized stuff then just do this instead. This will keep the rust from forming which is a better investment in the long run if you ask me.....

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy

10. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

I fyou have the extra time and a little bit of cash rent a sandblaster and blast the fenders then prime and paint I actually used the bed liner stuff on mine I hate RUST!

1985 GMC JIMMY

11. CAROLINAK5

CAROLINAK5 1/2 ton status

JUST DON'T WASH THE BLAZER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it works for me. i painted mine spray bomb camo and never wash it.........the wife says it's an eye sore, but i love her anyway!(now, what to do about my wife?)

when all else fails..............HIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

12. ChevyCaGal

Ha ha yeah I hear that... I never wash it. I sometimes wipe it down with a wet towel and touch up the rattle can job but as far as using soap, not in over 2 years...! [​IMG]

Suck Fumes Ford Boy