Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rubber/vinyl floor mat??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79BRUISER, Sep 27, 2006.

1. 79BRUISER

79BRUISER 1/2 ton status

Need to put a new floor covering in my 79. I priced the preformed ones and was wondering if there wasn't something cheeper. I can get a regular rubber truck bed mat for arround 60$. It doesnt need to be pretty but don't want it to look like crap either. Any Suggestions?
    Thanks, Briuser

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Thats what I run, truck bed mat...

Bought the big universal one. cut it to fit in back and front... the only thing not covered is the tranny hump... works awesome.......

3. 73k10sub

73k10sub 1/2 ton status

Floor covering

I made some floor mats for the foot well areas of my CUCV pickup but I find most of the heat coming in to the cab comes from the tranny hump area. It gets so hot in the summer you cannot hold your hand on it. I still want to solve that!!!! Good luck!

4. 79BRUISER

79BRUISER 1/2 ton status

im not worried about the rear section, that will be herculined eventually, i think ill buy one for the front and see how i like it. Thanks, Bruiser

5. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

What do you have in there now.

6. 79BRUISER

79BRUISER 1/2 ton status

nothing, ripped out all the floorboards and replaced, used to have the vinyl

7. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

You could try the junk yards, maybe get a rubber floor mat from a junked commercial vehicle or something like that.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

cheap alternative.....

I've used that rubber/vinyl ribbed matting sold at home centers to cover rugs and stair treads--comes in huge rolls,and is sold by the foot..holds up fairly well,until you get it salty in the winter,then it starts getting stiff and brittle..but its fairly cheap,so tossing it every few years won't bust your piggy bank...

Another great floor cover for beds or front floors is an old conveyor belt--those are extremely durable,and easy to cut to shape with a razor blade..they are strong enough to use as a strap to lift the cab off!(I've used one before for that!)..nice "non skid" surface on them too,on the back side,smooth on the other..:crazy: