Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rubberized undercoat

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Oct 8, 2001.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

From autozone how good does it work?... should i put some on? When i need more later do i have to peel it all off.. or just spray another coat??? Thanks.

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn filter--> 20hp haha
    I got my 4.56!!!!
    Next.., 2in body and 37" SSR's!

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I used the spray can stuff from Checker on my Jimmy. It works okay. It's a little messy though. I don't have to worry about rust in AZ. I put it on for appearence and ease of cleaning. It hasn't worn out yet.(2yrs) Oh ya, I used the DuPont stuff on my Dad's F*rd and I liked it better then the cheap stuff. It sprayed easier, and ended up looking alot nicer then the cheap stuff I used on my Jimmy.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I am using POR 15. I sprayed my rear axle with that undercoating and I'm not too impressed with it.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

4. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

The stuff i used peels off if you scratch it too hard... and i followed the directions for prepping and cleaning to the "T"!!!

5. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I used POR-15 on my rear axle and rear calipers, it isnt as tuff as it is rumored to be. I had the calipers painted for 3 weeks and when I installed them and started bleeding the brakes the POR started coming off. I stripped and used Eastwoods spray (enamel i think) and it seems to be much tougher.IMO

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/outlaw613/K5.html>http://www.geocities.com/outlaw613/K5.html</a>

6. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

I used it on my gas tank skid plate and hated it. It rubs off very easily and looks like crap. Just one man's opinion.

Next time, I'll use something else.

John

7. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Like the others said, it comes off way too easily. I used it on the inside of my doors and tailgate (at the bottom and the seams) where it won't get scratched off so it should work for my application.

8. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah i just appied some to the front axle, springs, and steering components... it sucks.. it was messy as [censored] but looks alrite... better than worn out metal with surface rust on it... i didnt do my best to clean anyhting so i prolly trapped some dirt and [censored] under it haha. Oh well...it took me two cans to do just the front axle steering componets and springs.. i think i sprayed way too generously...
    Anyway thanks for the opinions guys

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn filter--&gt; 20hp haha
    I got my 4.56!!!!
    Next.., 2in body and 37" SSR's!

9. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

I'm in Canada and have to worry about road salt, lotsa road salt. I hit the underneath with plenty of por15 and then thick oil coated it for added measure. Did my axles, springs etc with just por15, it looks great and it all works.
    Shawnboy.

If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Man, what should I use them? POR 15 comes off, undercoating gets everywhere and looks like crap, so what should I use? Regular black paint? Chassis black?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

11. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I don't like the undercoating in a can to well..... Remember it is a rubber based product and you'll need to make sure that everything is dry befor you apply...... Use a heat gun or a hairdrier to get rid of any moisture on the metal because it will be trapped and start to rust.....Auto paint stores have industry style under coating so check with on of those.....

C'moe

Kill Roy was here!