Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rubbin

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazentank, Jun 22, 2001.

1. blazentank

blazentank 1/2 ton status

I have a 86 k5 with a 4 inch lift with 35 inch super swamper boggers on it i have cut the fenders a little but that is not the problem when i try to make a right turn not even a sharp one my tires hit the drag link and the whole car shakes because of the knobs catching it it is tearing up my tires what do i do

2. DaveDave

DaveDave 1/2 ton status

what backspace do you run? you could use wheel spacer.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Adjust your steering stops or switch to rims with less back spacing...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

4. blazentank

The rims 15/8 and the tires are 16/35/15 probably because of tire width what is the best and cheapest thing to do

5. blazentank

The rims 15/8 and the tires are 16/35/15 probably because of tire width what is the best and cheapest thing to do

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The best thing to do would be to get wider rims, I would recommend 15x10. Even if the new rims have the same backspacing (you should have somewhere between 3.5"-4.25") you should get additional clearance, the reason is that the center of the tire/wheel will move outwards (1" if going from 8 to 10" wide rims) from the truck plus the added rim width will prevent the sidewalls from bulging out so much. The combination of these two factors should probably give at least a couple of more inches of clearance.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That isn't enough rim for the tire, an 8" wide rim is marginal for a 12.5" wide tire never mind a 16" wide tire.

A 15x10 or 12 would be better. Less backspacing would also get the tire farther outwards and increase the distance from your draglink.

I have two sets of tires, the first set are 35x12.5's on stock steel rims and the tire will rub the draglink at a full turn. My other set are 36x12.5's on some 15x10's and they don't rub at all because they have less backspacing.

Not a cheap fix...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>