Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rubbing sound from front wheel

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bowtie4466, Sep 27, 2000.

1. bowtie4466

bowtie4466 Registered Member

I have a roaring, rubbing sound coming from my front driver's side wheel. I have raised the wheel off the ground and spun it and it does not make the noise. It also will slow down or speed up with the wheel while driving. It does it more loudly when I am coming to a stop or turning left while slowing down. The noise will do it from the same place even if I rotate my tires. I put new brakes on about 2 months ago, and had new hubs, spindles and grease put in a year ago and 4wd works great. Any suggestions on where to start looking??

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

What about the ball joints? Jack the vehicle and grab the front tire at the top and bottom and see if it is loose.

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

See if your brakes are getting stuck/engaged against the rotor. If you look at the pads from both sides the one from the left should be more worn down. YOu might want to check the bearins and see if they have spun for some unknown reason. Just a thought, hope it helps.

4. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

Most likely wheel bearings. Were they torqued correctly (to factory specs) when they were greased 2 months ago? Was the locking "pin" still on the inner nut, so that it cannot back off?

Richard
    '76 K-5 Blazer
    '90 K-5 Blazer

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Remove your caliper and try to shake the wheel. It sounds like bad bearings. Sometimes the caliper will give enuff resistance when you try to move the wheel that it won't budge.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

6. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

Can a warn/frayed Speedo cable sound like a rubbing from the front wheels?

'79 Guy
    1 Blazer - 7 Children
    http://79guy.coloradok5.com

7. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

I have a similar prob when turning right at about 25-30 mph...but it only happens when going between these speeds...never any other time, it only started after i had new tires and wheels put on...?? i dont know...baffles the hell out of me...

8. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I had something like this also it turned out to be the tape weights they used to balance my wheels. I'm running 15" rim and the weight was hiting the caliper as it went around. May want to look to see if this is it..

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"