Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rubicon - how built do ya need to be?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Shaggy, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'm really looking forward to running the 'con, but after seeing the pics of it I'm a little wary about whether I'm going to be able to even make it through without rolling my junk, or at least without tearing it up pretty bad. In general, what are the minimum mods (tire size, lockers, etc) that are required? Is width a huge issue? I know that one a fullsize body damage is inevitable, and I'm fine with that, so long as I can still open my doors at the end of the trail. I will still be able to open my doors, right? OK, the disclaimer - I know that experience is a huge factor. I think I am a decent driver, not the greatest but I hold my own. Not alot of experience on the rocks but when I do play on them I do pretty well. Anyways, any info you guys can offer would be cool... Looking forward to running it maybe next year.</font color>

2. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

well since in a full size i would say you need at least 35's...at least one locker front or rear...and unless you like lots of body damage some type of rocker guard..

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> OK, well I'll be on 38s with a welded 14b and an ARB in the front D60, so I think I'm OK there. I wasn't planning on shaving the 14 bolt but after seeing how far down the lip hangs I think that I may. I just worry about the strength after shaving it.

I figured I'd need rocker guards, they're just hard to find for a pickup so I'm going to have to fab some. Probably just going to cut the rockers off and replace them with some rectangular tube. I'm mainly worried about the width issue and the tippyness factor. I'm running 6" of spring lift and will have 3" backspacing on 15x10s. I just worry that I won't be able to fit on the trail...</font color>

4. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I wasn't planning on shaving the 14 bolt but after seeing how far down the lip hangs I think that I may. I just worry about the strength after shaving it.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Don't worry about strength, worry about peeling your cover off

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Well, I'd trim the cover too... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif I'll get the Avalanche or similar gaurds for both the axles evetually, but probably not right away, just not in the current buildup budget after everything else. </font color>

6. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

I posted up here about 2-3 weeks ago about the con. I was on the Jeepers Jamboree. and I saw one K5. It looked to have had 4'' lift and 35's-37s.

He cut Everything that the major rock guys cut. (front fender, rear quarter panel) the only major body damage was behind the door. it was the tub. so he had some work in store.

If you have a pickup you will need some sort of rocker protection like Chazz said....(sorry chaz for the extra Z)
    /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

You will find that the first 1-2 miles are the most difficult and tight in a full size. and if you have good paint and a strait body I would highly recommend you (not go) But I hope you all have a good time I don't mean to rain on the parade. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

One last note...BRING GAS. Don't know how long yall will be out there.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Good paint is definately something that I don't need to worry about. Basically so long as my doors still open and close I'm cool with body damage. Gotta have my doors since when the truck is running it has to be parked out in the street, otherwise they'd be gone. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif </font color>

8. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Good to hear that its not a factor for you...
    I would bring a big Sledge hammer just incase you need to realign the door to open or close it. Unless you like to rein act a childhood favorite Bo and Luke Duke's entrance in the General...