Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

RUBICON RUBICON RUBICON RUBICON

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Just got back from the 'Con with Zakk and Rita, Tony (73K5Tony510) and Laura, 73Tweaker his son and Wes (76K5Blazer), and Kieth (bayareawheeler) who I rode with..........WoooHooo!!!!!!!!!

So Saturday I'm sittign here Reading posts and see the one about Zakk in Pollock Pines, since I'm 1.5 hours away, I decided to go see what I could do to help. They had had to drop the t-case on the side of the road to tighten the adaper bolts- I got there in time to bolt the front shaft back on and fill it with ATF. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif So we got it goin and everyone asks if I was riding along.....I didn't have clothes, food, real shoes, or ANYTHING, so I said hell yeah!!! Huge thanks to Tony & Laura and Zakk Rita for feeding me and providing mith a place to sleep. On the way in, we passed Dblue and his buddy dead towing the bronco out. We did the last hour or so in complete darkness with only Zakks truck with lights. Night wheeling on the 'Con is all about concentration. And trying to hold my temper when A$$holes like Bob Roggy make smart ass comments. He did recive a middle finger though. Long story... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif (If I think about it for too long, I'm gonna get pissed off again) Anyways, Spider Lake is frickin awesome. Beautiful. Water was clear as glass, awesome swimming. Oh yeah......Zakk floats.. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Anyways, I learned sooooo much this weekend. I now have ALOT of respect for Toys, or atleast Toy drive trains. I rode with Kieth, his truck is a truggy thing that used to be a '79 Toy truck. Now it has D70's front & rear, 4.56's, Toy tranny, Marlin dual cases, 20R four banger, and 44" Boggers. That thing was frickin unstopable. Made it from Loon Lake to Spider Lake with out backing up, except for one rollover. Totally changed my ideas and plans for my truck. Aftwer watching everyone there, 40"+ tires are what to get, and crawl ratio, crawl ratio, crawl ratio. Kieth let me wheel the truck back out from Spider to Loon...After making sure that it was ok with him, I took the hardest lines I could find, and that damn thing idled over everything. Even with the tiny little 20r. My truck is going to get the truggy treatment in one form or another. D60 up front is mandetory, and the 38's are not stayin for long. Zaks statement of "Rock crawling makes heroin addiction look like a vauge desire for something salty" is sooooooo true. I'm hooked after this weekend..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

right on /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif good to hear everything went ok /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Just got back from the 'Con with Zakk and Rita, Tony (73K5Tony510) and Laura, 73Tweaker his son and Wes (76K5Blazer), and Kieth (bayareawheeler) who I rode with..........WoooHooo!!!!!!!!!

So Saturday I'm sittign here Reading posts and see the one about Zakk in Pollock Pines, since I'm 1.5 hours away, I decided to go see what I could do to help. They had had to drop the t-case on the side of the road to tighten the adaper bolts- I got there in time to bolt the front shaft back on and fill it with ATF. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif So we got it goin and everyone asks if I was riding along.....I didn't have clothes, food, real shoes, or ANYTHING, so I said hell yeah!!! Huge thanks to Tony & Laura and Zakk Rita for feeding me and providing mith a place to sleep. On the way in, we passed Dblue and his buddy dead towing the bronco out. We did the last hour or so in complete darkness with only Zakks truck with lights. Night wheeling on the 'Con is all about concentration. And trying to hold my temper when A$$holes like Bob Roggy make smart ass comments. He did recive a middle finger though. Long story... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif (If I think about it for too long, I'm gonna get pissed off again) Anyways, Spider Lake is frickin awesome. Beautiful. Water was clear as glass, awesome swimming. Oh yeah......Zakk floats.. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Anyways, I learned sooooo much this weekend. I now have ALOT of respect for Toys, or atleast Toy drive trains. I rode with Kieth, his truck is a truggy thing that used to be a '79 Toy truck. Now it has D70's front & rear, 4.56's, Toy tranny, Marlin dual cases, 20R four banger, and 44" Boggers. That thing was frickin unstopable. Made it from Loon Lake to Spider Lake with out backing up, except for one rollover. Totally changed my ideas and plans for my truck. Aftwer watching everyone there, 40"+ tires are what to get, and crawl ratio, crawl ratio, crawl ratio. Kieth let me wheel the truck back out from Spider to Loon...After making sure that it was ok with him, I took the hardest lines I could find, and that damn thing idled over everything. Even with the tiny little 20r. My truck is going to get the truggy treatment in one form or another. D60 up front is mandetory, and the 38's are not stayin for long. Zaks statement of "Rock crawling makes heroin addiction look like a vauge desire for something salty" is sooooooo true. I'm hooked after this weekend..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like you got bit by the 44 bug like I did.I cant wait to wheel with mine.

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

44 bug...lol, thats no joke. They make obsticles look soooo easy. You can take some of the crazy, insane lines and make it the first try most of the time- Fun fun fun. They are great if ya want to gather a crowd. Kieths rig was constantly being stared at on the 'Con. It's an ugle frickin thing, called Mad Max./forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif But it sure works good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It's an ugle frickin thing, called Mad Max./forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif But it sure works good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thats what I thought about Tonys rig.

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

It sure would be nice to live a little closer, sounds like fun. I can heartily endorse the truggy idea. bye bye full body K5, hello trail performance.

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It sure would be nice to live a little closer, sounds like fun. I can heartily endorse the truggy idea. bye bye full body K5, hello trail performance.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, that is the future...and it is also mine.

I'll be sorry to see it go /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

Hey Stephen what are the trails like out there compared to what you have seen in Cali?

9. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Our high country trails are the only thing that compares to the Rubicon in scenery, and I'd have to say the colo. trails are every bit as nice to look at if not even more spectacular. We have a lot more elevation change to look at, it's no big deal to be driving on and around 12K+ foot peaks that are a lot steeper than anything I saw in Ca.
    For whatever reason, we don't have many technically challenging trails in this type of terrain though, most of the roads are fairly well maintained for tourist traffic so they aren't very tough. That and not many people like driving difficult trails with HUGE dropoffs.
    Getting into the mountain trails when it's muddy or snowy will make them a challenge but that's typically the only way to make it difficult for a well equipped vehicle. I can come up with a few trails that have some tough spots like Holy Cross but typically the mountain trails are easier.
    Where Co really shines is in the lower altitude desert type trails. I'm more familiar with the stuff on the west slope like the Montrose area trails, 21 road, Moab and some other smaller play areas, and these trails rival any rockcrawling anywhere. I know that there's some harder trails on the front range also, Penrose and Carnage gulch come to mind.
    We also have a LOT of good mild trail/camping trails. It would be pretty easy to take a vehicle like my 'burb and go camping somewhere scenic every weekend of the year and not leave a 200 mile radius. And in this area, we drive about 5-10 miles and can be in some really nice camping areas. There's not much local hard wheeling but the camping is awesome.