Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rubicon?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skelly1, Apr 9, 2004.

1. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

So, let's say one has a roll cage, a 4" lift, a 14bff rear, 10 bolt front, with 4:56's and detroits front and rear, would you attempt the rubicon?

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

tire size?

3. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

it i had a tow vehicle there then hell yea. Im not saying you are going to break something with that gear but its always a possibility

4. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

36" tires

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i've never done it or let alone seen it, but heres my stance. Beeter truck = yeah do it, DD and clean truck = not unless you want damage

6. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

So, what's worst case then? 10 bolt front breaks, then get towed out of there?

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

depending on what brakes, just remove certian parts, throw it in 2wd and drive it.

8. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So, what's worst case then? 10 bolt front breaks, then get towed out of there?

[/ QUOTE ] Or you break and have to go find the parts to fix it there. Might be to difficult to tow you out of there. I heard of trucks being there for days getting fixed just to drive out. From the last time my club went there, I would have lots of spares for that 10 bolt. I have never seen it so i can't say much. I'll be there this sept. with my club but I didn't even want to attempt it untill I was 1 ton. Especially in a full size. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've seen stock jeeps run it so I bet you would have a good time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

My first attempt I got 300ft busted a front Ujoint then a rear driveline then the front driveline got bent. I fixed the front ujoint and drove out on front wheeldrive only.
    This trail is a rockcrwalers dream..for me it was a nightmare....but I made it out.
    I have heard there was a different route in that we could have taken and I may not have had so much carnage in so lilttle distance. That and I am still a rookie driver when it comes to real rock crawling. My K5 is too fast for it..I'm running SM465/205 4.10s & 35SSRS
    I now know my limits though so it was educating at the least...
    Good luck
    PS Bring a tow rig..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Zakk is a good example of running the rubicon... His truck was pretty straight and barely bashed.. then he followed watson and had a bunch of fun running the whole trail, check out some of his carnage you can probably expect..
    http://www.norcalbigdawgs.net/Gallery/albun10
    I'm not sure if i'm ready to get that kind of damage yet, but it would be fun.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

ton of fun. I only have wheeled the 'Con with Buggies, so I do take a bit of rash.

IMHO, no way that truck will make it. the 10B's are the first issue, lack of uber or stupid low is another. Lots of ledges that my TH350/NP203 would have died on. and even with 40's I had to bypass Little Sluice. Old Sluice and Big Sluice were no problem.

And the "pop it out and drive out in 2wd" is a bad joke. We headed up one time to help rescue a guy that forked his front driveline. That was more then I bargined for. he got out, but the rig took on MAJOR damage.

MY GF has wheeled my junk through some of the rough stuff there, but that was the truck doing a lot of the work. She got it through gatekeeper no problem, but tried it in 2:1 then had to slap it into 4:1 to make any progress.

The other issue is if you go all the way through, you have to be able to drive it back around from NV into Callie. so a munched rig wouldn't do it.

Noel had a buggy on 1/2 ton gear. super light, super flexy, and he was breaking shafts. We brought him one from Iceman for his 12B.

If you still insist on doing it, do it during the week or on a uber slow weekend.