Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rugged Trail Lift Kit??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nad, Mar 3, 2006.

1. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

:confused: Alright, I think this company has gone out of business, but is this company very popular/reputable? I'm in the middle of purchasing/installing a slightly used 4" from an older man. Any comments/tips? Thanks guys.

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I remember that company back in the 80's. Back in those days almost every high-performance part made for American full-size trucks was "Made in America". So, the term "quality" was not a relevance concern back then because every thing manufactured in America is made to "over-kill" standards. With the possible antiquity of these parts, are you sure they are "slightly" used?

3. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Well now that I consider it, they're probably not "slightly used". But the guy is being quit honest with me. He also explained to me that these were made in the US and were the best of the best in their times. Does anyone know who bought them out?

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Warn (yes the winch manufacturer) bought them out sometime in the early, early 90's. They changed the name to Black Diamond and then phased the lift kits out not long after they carried the lift kits.
    If you check eBay, you will find BD stuff for sale along with Superlift, as I believe Superlift bought out the remaining stuff Warn had left over. Liquidating in other words.

I remember back in 1990, I bought some Rugged Trail 6" heavy duty front springs and 2.5" heavy duty rear springs for pretty cheap. Installed those on an '86 SWB K10 which I sold. Rode like crap as it was the stiff springs. Shocks were the gold plated ones, Nitro Cells. Everything RT used like bushings and boots were all orange colored.