Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ruh Roh. Dead Truck

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by willyswanter, Feb 5, 2003.

1. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

A little background information:

About 2 weeks ago I went out to start my truck and it cranked started and 2 seconds later sputtered and died. Then I cranked and cranked and cranked and about 2 minutes later it started.

Now today, I went out and it did the same thing, started 2 seconds later it sputtered and died. But now no start. I checked for spark and thats all fine. But I can't hear my fuel pump. I checked the fuel pump relay and it's good and the wiring to the tank and it has power. So I'm assuming my pump died? If so whats the cost from the dealer on that? More than the 13.27 I have in my pocket? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

2. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Try pouring a little gas into trot bod.If it runs till thats burned up it's prob. the fuel pump.Mines done that twice.You can listen under truck while someone turn ignition on also.Pump should run a little at first to build pressure. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. willyswanter

Yeah, forgot to mention mines a 96 and vortec so no open throttle body to dump fuel into /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. But my fuel pump is very loud and can be hurd from 10 or so feet away and I have nothing. The relay turns on for 2 seconds like it should be no pump. So I'm going to check the wiring to the pump and if it's got power I'm pulling the bed off I guess /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Just filled it up last night with 34 gallons of gas and I'm not going to even try and lower that tank.

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Its really not that bad when its full if you have a floor jack, except it might bend the sending unit if you put the jack under it...i dropped mine when it was full - 31 gals - by myself and i was really sick...the dealer wanted 70 for a TBI pump, got it at napa for about 40...vortec might be more thaough

5. willyswanter

Pump was 155 from the dealer. I figured this one lasted 155k miles must be pretty good /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

If your tank is in front of the axle, remove all of the bed to chassis bolts, and any ground straps, just leave the last bolt on each side in a couple of threads and stick a floor jack with a 2x4 standing upright and jack it up at the front crossmember. Kind of like if it had a dump bed on it. This way you won't have to totally remove the bed. Thats what I do with dodges and fords, but I don't know where your tank is so just a suggestion. Make sure you don't have any heavy items in the bed if you do this though. Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. willyswanter

Too late but thanks for the info. Did it all yesterday in about 3 hours total. Just dropped the tank on a couple floor jacks and switched pumps and put it back up. Runs great now /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Hope it lasts as good as mine has,over 450.000 miles and only needed one pump so far. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Rigger

Rigger Newbie

I know by now you changed your pump out and all is well, but just had to add a comment about filters. My 5.7 Vortec's in-line fuel filter starts plugging off after about 6 mos. (20K mi.) and the pump in the tank starts getting noticeably louder (working harder) when it's about time for a new filter. I have switched to a NAPA gold now and will see if this makes any difference.
    Filters, when in doubt, change it out!

Regards, Rigger.

10. willyswanter

Yep, I change it every 4-5 months usually. When I only get 6mpg to start with I wanna try and squeeze every bit out of it I can /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif