Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rules O/T

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by arq, Jun 11, 2001.

1. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

I hate rules, just came back from checking out an apt. w/big fxxn garage, said to myself cool i can keep my blazer in there. turns out can't wear shoes inside, no guest after 10pm, or stay longer than 1wk, no loud noises after 10pm, etc, etc. Can't work on my blazer in the garage. bad thing is that the landlord lives next door.

I hate the city life, nothing like a place in the middle of nowhere where you can pound on your blazer all you want at 2am.

just had to get it out...

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

2. Dan71gmc

Dan71gmc Registered Member

I live in the country, pretty much can do what I want, no real close neighbors. If I want to work on the trucks and make noise or pee in the front yard no problem. Am trying to relocate to a larger community, and still want an acreage. Problem 1) Cost for acreages 2) covenants in these towns and cities. You have to have a set sqft, color , one out building and set size, no clothesline or garden,etc! Are these people nuts ?!! Too many people are caught up in the rat race and go along with these bulls##t rules. People create those kind of rules to keep others out,and if you don't go along with that, you're really considered a nut case. I for one don't care to be told what type of house I can live in, what truck I can drive or work on,or that my clothes have to dried inside. I understand we need rules, and not all are bad, but sometimes it goes just a little too far.Are there any communities out there that haven't got these types of covenants?

3. HarryL

HarryL 1/2 ton status

Dan,

IMNHO, rules are created to extract conformity and not necessarily compliance. Being a conservative fellow educated at 3 liberal universities, I have noticed that one liberal aspect of social conscience entails "helping those less fortunate that yourself". This arrogance has lead to a society that thinks meat comes from a grocery store. You and ARQ are perfect examples of that sentiment. Thus the laws stating no shoes in the house, no loud noise after 10PM, no drying your frillies on the line. Loud sigh.

In Montana we normally solve our problems at the lowest level possible. When the health inspector comes along to investigate trucks on block in the yard, we solve the problem by trading tailgates. Property values never seem to increase too much anyways. Nepotism is at times a necessary survival tool.

see ya

Harry

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Harry, don't you find it funny how the label "conservative" is applied to those who don't necessarily want a bunch of constricting rules and laws applied to them and that the "liberal" moniker is attached to those who would prefer more regulation and interference from gevernment agencies? Seems to me that it should be the other way around.

FWIW, the building code where I live has certain mandates to it and when my parents wanted to remodel their house it was found that the fence in the front yard was 8" too high and would not approve the plans to change the house without the fence being removed or shortened. It *was* a very attractive oriental looking fence with a tea-garden roof. Our neighbors tried to fight to have the city allow the fence to stay intact, but the city wouldn't budge and we had to cut the neat little roof off of the fence before the city would approve the new plans (which fit and exceeded the codes in place). Nobody but the city was happy about that (the contractor who cut the roof off of the fence was even unhappy about it even though he got paid to do it).

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

"It is easer to get forgiveness than permission".

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

6. HarryL

HarryL 1/2 ton status

OK guys, latin lesson for the day:

"Venia poitus quam permisso" (forgiveness rather permission)
    This phrase has been around a long time.

Steve, it is funny. More sad than funny, but there is a humorous point to it. I had just retired from the USAF when I decided to go to university. I really didn't know that I was going to a liberal pot smoking tree hugging snow boarding school. All I knew was they had a top notch foreign language program (so they advertised) and I was going to tear it up.

Man, was I in for a shock. I had just returned from 3.5 years in Panama. I lived in Panama, travelled extensively through southern Mexico, all the way south to Peru and east to Brazil.
    I saw the aftermath of Tupac Amaru attacks on villages unsympathetic to their vision of Maoist paradise. How to convert the populace? These guys read the Viet cong book of persuasion and improved on it. The southern Mexican successionist revoloutionary movement liked to enter a village during the day when the men were working the fields and rape the women and impale the children on poles. Mind you, I saw this. first hand. Not in a book. I go to school, and my idiot fellow students are holding rallys to "free the Tupac amaru freedom fighters" and "viva MRTA". I sat in class thinking they must be kidding. As reality set, I tried to tell them what I saw, experienced, thought. I was called a conservative bullshit dogma radical agent of the government. I spoke with my professors who told me that the road to enlightenment was through education...........was I sure that I wanted to really learn, or was I there to fail?

I learned a long time ago that the best way to topple the bad guys was to join them. Infiltrate, integrate, assimilate, and learn all I can about them.

Sometimes I get tired of it all, and just want to drive my Blazer.

Sorry about the diatribe. My point was and still is we have no idea what our kids are learning in these liberal bastions of higher education. I'm amazed at the divisive polarity between the sides, and neither is willing to budge and inch from their stand. Your point about the city code is perilous!!!! Presumtiousness (the fact that WE know what's good for YOU) is rampant. For those of you that watch the evening news and read the papers, the situation encompassing the Israeli State and the Palestinians is a wonderful example.

H out

7. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

I know there has to be a place and time for everything. the city apts is not the place to bang on your blazer at 2am, i know i would not like my neighboor doing that(I'd bang him on the head a couple times). It's when people come out and tell you what you can and can not do behind closed doors (no shoes, no friends/relative after 10pm, no moderatly lound music, etc). and the threat of being evicted if rules are not followed. this sounds totalitarian to me(or is it a dictatorship?)

rules who really follows them anyhow, how many people have a semiautomatic rifle. gov says you can't have one cause they are dangerous. Is it the gun or the person behind it??

my solution was to not support the guy and pay rent to someone else where I know I would be happy banging on my blazer...

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

8. HarryL

HarryL 1/2 ton status

ARQ,

My point exactly. Speak with your wallet. However, if the campaign reform act passes, we will once again be "breaking the law".

Good music to you.

HarryL

9. Dan71gmc

Dan71gmc Registered Member

Harry, Maybe you misunderstood my point, sometimes that happens through emails and posts.I am a common and basic person,try to do what's right, pay taxes , go to church each week, etc. I'm in construction and understand the need for rules and laws. I'm just wondering where and when all of these covenants in many places came to be and why people put up with them.If a new 2000 sq ft home is fine, why then a new 1600 sqft isn't? Or that it has to be a certain color? I guess I feel that if you own the property, you should have some say about what you do there. Yes I agree the way you avoid that is just not to live in that area or community, and I do appreciate the area I'm in, a farming community where we do know where meat and groceries come from.Where has society gone in the last 20 years that people just accept these things?Contrary to what you think I'm really not a radical, just a guy working and trying to raise my five children the best way possible.Here in a small community, we try to work out problems as you do,by compromise and communication, although there are always those who feel they are right no matter what.

10. 2quicK5

2quicK5 Registered Member

Steve,

I think you may be confusing the word 'liberal' with the word 'liberty' or 'libertarian'. Liberal political philosophy has nothing to do with libertarianism. In fact, conservative political philosophy is closer to libertarianism for the following reasons. First, a conservative by definitiion conserves, or sticks to the old 'original' way of doing things ('old school'). The original way of doing things in this country was deeply rooted in libertarian philosophy thanks to our founding fathers with emphisis on personal freedom and liberty. They stressed limited govt. and the dangers of a powerfull centralized govt. such as we have today. That is why this nation's first govt. was a confederation and not a federal govt. as we have today. Secondly conservatives are generally strict constructionists when it comes to our constitution. Our constitution embraces liberty and personal freedom in the bill of rights. So by being a strict constructionist, conservatives wish to conserve personal freedom and liberty. Liberals on the other hand believe the constitution is a 'living' document and therefore can be interpreted to mean anything they want, or rewritten on a whim, or ignored at any moment when it doesn't fit in with their vision of utopia. They usually do this in order to limit or take away your freedoms. After all gun control, limits on 'hate' speech, and private property confiscation by the Govt. ( under RICO, EPA, BATF, DEA, IRS etc) are all just vicious attacks on our guaranteed freedoms and should be resisted with force by all freedom loving Americans. Do not let the Liberal/Communists define the arguement, define themselves as the political center, and label everyone else who does not agree with them as extremeists. 'Extremism in the defense of Liberty is not extreme!'

De Opresso Liber

John

1972 K5 Blazer: 400 ci, 4 sp, 4" springs, 35" Tires

2000 Trans Am, A4
    11.97@114 mph

11. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

John I wasn't confusing the terms, only pointing out the irony of the terms. I understand fully that "conservative" got its roots from "doing things the old way." It's just like a lot of other terms in the English language that have semi-logical roots that don't really agree in a literal sense with that for which they stand.

12. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

....and I thought that I'd be sitting around the campfire, drinking beer with a bunch of "good 'ol boys" and talking about carburetors at the upcoming California Blazer-Fest!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Turns out, you guys know about a lot more than just K5's...... I may end up learning a LOT more than I expected on our upcoming trip!

In all seriousness, it's good to see a different thread like this on the list from time to time.

-Greg72

13. 2quicK5

2quicK5 Registered Member

Yes, I see the irony too Steve. That's a good point you make about the English language. It's kind of like the old joke: What's the opposite of progress? Congress. Or the difference in modern political terms between a conservative and a conservationist.

John

1972 K5 Blazer: 400 ci, 4 sp, 4" springs, 35" Tires

2000 Trans Am, A4
    11.97@114 mph